Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Brookwood Trout Estate in Muldersdrift

Awesome Place...and the Owners Two Brothers are awesome Blokes!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    I love canned fising only time i ever actually catch something
    I'm a hunter and do very little fishing (I don't own anything fishing related). So I have to ask, what do you guys mean by canned fishing?

Are you referring to isolated dams that get stocked with fish from outside? Does it carry the same ethical implications/questions as canned hunting does?

User

These guys own the shooting range opposite the trout farm. They have a club and all. Very nice people, always nice to go visit them.

Sent from my D5103 using Tapatalk

User

Maroelas...interesting question.

There is no definition of canned fishing as such.

There are certainly no ethical implications involved as with canned hunting.

The purists to the sport of fly fishing will settle for nothing less than "wild" naturally occuring fish such as river yellows in this country or who could refuse an offer to fish one of the south american trout streams.

To a certain extent,all trout and bass are canned [introduced to the country and released in dams and rivers]

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    I'm a hunter and do very little fishing (I don't own anything fishing related). So I have to ask, what do you guys mean by canned fishing?

Are you referring to isolated dams that get stocked with fish from outside? Does it carry the same ethical implications/questions as canned hunting does?
    In 99% of cases trout do NOT breed naturally in SA. So dams and rivers are stocked from hatcheries that specifically bring in eggs from Netherlands and USA and breed the fish. Now as a farm owner you buy in fish at around R125/kilo. A new trend is to modify the eggs using pressure and heat, you then get a trout called a Triploid, basically a A-sexual fish that does not reproduce and all the sexual energy goes into growth. In the Dullstroom area we used to jump up and down when we bred out a 3 kilo trout, I managed to grow out a Triploid of 6.2 kilos last year.
    Ok now what a lot of farms do is ignore the carrying capacity of a dam or stretch of river, this means you can stock say 15 kilos of fish per one hectare of water as the food source will sustain them and you will have healthy fish. In these cases fishing in not always very good, so farms over stock water and have to feed on a daily base. Hence canned fishing, if you throw a handful of gravel into the water the fish come swimming as they think it's food. You can catch these fish using a chappy!

User

Dullstroom is firing at the moment

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post

Maroelas, since you do not know anything about fishing I suggest you do canned fishing at Spar, you have a choice of sardines in tomato sauce or Curried fish , the best being Tuna in fish oil I think....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2