Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Loading the 40 S&W

what load would jou recomend for the 155gr gold dots in 40? There should be sumwhere. Wat wil the corect velocity for this bulet be? 1300fps? I saw that thats wat they get whith 6.5gr ms200 i think out of a adp

User

Default Re: Loading the 40 S&W

IIRC most 155gr 40 loads run around 1150-1200fps. 1300fps would be a brutal most likely overpressure round. I would not even attempt these sort of velocities in an ADP.

User

those of jou have have the 2004 magnums in binders go and check it out for jour selfs. 1300fps in a subcompact! I wouldnt jump in and try it thoug. Work up gradualy. Wat terminal performance would a 150gr gold dot give at 1300fps?

My guess is that the GD 155 would give poorer terminal performance all around at 1300FPS than at 1200, which is what the factory load is rated at. It has taken me a good while to get over the old 'high velocity is king' theory of handgun bullet performance...which 'back in the day' was correct...and start thinking in terms of the newer, better designed bullets we have available today. The GD will still expand at 1200, but it will also give adequate penetration. At 1300 you are likely to find it begins to lose some penetration, and that could cause serious issues if one decent hit was all you got and it impacted a bicep then entered the chest, etc.

Stick with a 1200FPS maximum...I don't care what Magnum says. JMO
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    I don't care what Magnum says.
    Best. Advice. Ever.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

A .40 155gr bullet @ 1300fps is called a transformer. It'll transform your handgun into a hand-grenade. Seriously, that performance is suited to 10mm auto and not to .40. I haven't read the article, but once again, publishing dangerous data like that is just plain dumb.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by pietskiet
    what load would jou recomend for the 155gr gold dots in 40? There should be sumwhere. Wat wil the corect velocity for this bulet be? 1300fps? I saw that thats wat they get whith 6.5gr ms200 i think out of a adp
    Dont say that I have stock in Pfizer and it sounds liket their SSTI department might do well with Setraline! ;D
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

For what it is worth I do look at IPSC/IDPA factor ratings when looking at a load to try and geustemite if you are looking at a hot round or not. No it is not very scientific but it does give an estimate. A 155 @ 1300 = 201.5 factor and that is extremely high for a 40S&W and I would go with the comment that it is borderline handgrenade stuff in a ADP or for that manner in just about any 40S&W pistol. Stay away and do not attempt to achieve this kind of performance.

Strange as this may sound that load should be within Somchem's specs confused0083

They list a 153gr SWC cast bullet over 6,6gr MS200 doing 1206f/s out of a Glock 23 as their max load ??? I some how doubt that the ADP would get better velocities than this considering it has a shorter barrel etc...

Even so I wouldn't try to get higher kinds of velocities from any 40 S&W, you might just wind up being called "Lefty" for the rest of your life! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Carter

Even so I wouldn't try to get higher kinds of velocities from any 40 S&W, you might just wind up being called "Lefty" for the rest of your life! ;)
    no buy shares in a prosthetics company!!! ;D
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast