Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    User

Default 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Good day to all members:
    I commenced with a 72"x 2" knife blade belt grinding machine. The concept will consist of three fixtures. A platen, a twelve inch contact wheel to do flat /hollow grounding and a small wheel attachment to grind small diameter curves into knife scales/blades. All the parts will be weld together initially to get the frame in place..finishing work will commence when everything is in place and the belt /motor is working properly..the welding will then be done with a Mig welder...to ensure clean welds...now I am using an arch welder for the initial work...

My first phase consist off:
    The frame, the platen and the thread mill motor with ten different speed adjustments...

Second phase:
    The twelve inch contact wheel for flat/hollow grounding with a adjustable hollow grind jig.

Third Phase :
    The small wheel /bearing attachment.

Photos of the frame and platen:

Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 19-08-2016 at 16:02.

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Woop woop, Gert, jumping onto this thread for another fascinating ride!

User

Hallo Sweet, yes , you are more than welcome, this build is something I really like myself very much...I have always been wanting to build my own belt sanding machine..It took me two years to accumulate all the rollers/bearings and parts...the three phases will enhance my quality of knife making .... I will try and complete this build as fast as possible to start completing my knifes I already forged as well...

User

Hi Gert. Long time since I spoke to you. Another interesting project on the go. Something to keep in mind. Check what size belts are the most easily obtainable and economical, in your area and use those. Majority of belts supplied are metric. My grinder uses 2000mmx 50mm size. They don't have to be custom made, always straight off the shelf. What belt tracking method are you using? Regards Peter

User

Good day to you Peter
    Nice to hear from you again . The 72" x 2" belts (1828 mm x 50 mm) I get from a manufacturer around the Kayalami area, at a good price . He makes the belts tailor fit. I will purchase different composite belts from 36 gn to 800 gn belts. I probably will use the 36 gn belts the most since I will make forged knifes...the tracking /tensioner adjustment component will be a simple but effective system , I will upload photos of it when I get to that phase, it will be the handle and a spring tensioner that use a screw-inn lock screw to do the adjustment of the belt.
    Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 19-08-2016 at 17:39.

User

Some photos focusing on the platen , this is the fixture that probably is used the most when working down knife blades. A sturdy rest to support your grinding techniques on the platen is a must. I will make my table rest from ten millimeter thick mild steel sheet. I used nylon rollers with bearings but plan to turn my own rollers with bearings as soon as the project is completed and I did a few blades using the nylon roller with bearings... when this project is completed I will commence building a Power Hammer...it will assist me in forging thicker steel and tougher steel like the taper rolling bearing I currently using.

User

Great start Gert. This is a good place to get some of the larger wheels (and with some they ship free) http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesal...er-wheels.html

User

Snap!
    Just this afternoon I visited a friend who runs a steel fabrication business. A good raid of his scrap bin yielded the square tubing required to build a KMG grinder. So, I'll be following your progress with interest.
    Another friend is busy with the drawings to get steel plate plasma cut. We are both building grinders, so will share tooling setups on our lathes and mills.

User

Thank you Von Gruff, will keep you up to date and work with you on the belt sander....
    Epsilon, thank you for the reply, yes, we all can learn from each other on belt sander builds..there is no right or wrong..what ever works for a person will be good, it is a fun project and I really enjoy working on my belt sander build....

Gert please show your plan for tracking on the grinder.

Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast