Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Good day to you flincher.
    No, it is not my plans, I also acquired this info from my best friend , Google, the wheel has been design already ...This is maybe the simplest design but most effective design....keep it simple and you are guaranteed success.. I will be working on the belt tensioner tomorrow.

Here is a photo:

User

I have a gas strut for my tension Gert.

User

Von Gruff, I noticed many DIY builders use the gas strut option, I have a spring available and will make use of it to keep the build simple and affordable. Along the line I will make improvements in the future when doing a more advance build...

User

I did work one some finer points today, the two saddles I made to bolt the belt grinder to the base had some tension in them, I started the forge , heated them to red and placed them into position to form around the base.

I did work on the rest today, there are still a lot of work to do , I really want to build the strongest rest possible since all the torque and grinding work happens on the table rest....the current ninty degree arm will be substituted tomorrow with a more solid arm...this one is a test to see if my idea of the table fit will work..

I will attache a larger thick steel plate on top of this plate to ensure a longer grinding and working surface. Did some drilling work and fitted another nut to secure and adjust a slide..Keep in mind please, as did my friend Von Gruff with his project, I am sourcing parts/pieces of steel to build this belt grinder...a few items will be purchase but the rest have been sourced at the scrap metal dealers...

Thanks Gert I will copy.

User

You can get custom size belts from various manufacturers. Lukas in Germiston can do them whatever size you need in about a week. There's guys closer to you though. I think Excel Abrasives was in Springs for example.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bcs View Post
    You can get custom size belts from various manufacturers. Lukas in Germiston can do them whatever size you need in about a week. There's guys closer to you though. I think Excel Abrasives was in Springs for example.
    Thank you bcs, really appreciate the info, it is always good to have more than one option open ....

User

I worked on the rest arm today, I need to get this section as strong as possible since it will be the section where all the grinding work will take place.I need to do some milling work on sections of the table rest. I am making use of a heavy base stand for the table rest and need to mill a twelve millimeter slot into it to ensure some adjustment in height of the rest...currently I am working down the arm rest to fit snug in the square tubing of the grinder...it will ensure a good alignment as well... Photos will follow..

User

Good day to you members.
    I managed to complete part of the sanding belt tensioner today. This part adjust the alignment of the belt. It will be fitted to the tensioner and be adjusted with a bolt screwed through the piece of steel that forms the tensioner handle...still need to work down the pieces as soon as it is completed...

Assembled :

Table rest for the sanding work on the blades..

One of the forged blades I am working on...
    Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 25-08-2016 at 15:49.

User

Members, to make this build interesting I am going to build a aluminium smelter operating with charcoal /compressed air to melt aluminium for the tensioner idler wheel and the drive wheel..this will give me the opportunity to learn more about melting/casting aluminium. The burner set up will be simple but effective.

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast