Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Members, to make this build interesting I am going to build a aluminium smelter operating with charcoal /compressed air to melt aluminium for the tensioner idler wheel and the drive wheel..this will give me the opportunity to learn more about melting/casting aluminium. The burner set up will be simple but effective.
    When melting aluminum, I found out rather early that adding a lid to the crucible really helps to cut down in the oxide layer. Also the longer you leave it to cool in the mold the harder it gets.

User

Members, I will put in practice , the use of ant heap material(clay) as a fire resistant substance when building this charcoal smelter for the aluminum idler wheel and drive wheel I want to cast and machine on the lathe...this will give me an indication of how suitable ant heap clay will be as a fire resistant substance. What I will do is to add some perlite to see if I can enhance the fire resistance abilities of the ant-heap clay I harvested for my Potchefstroom Koekoek chickens to eat the ants from... Looking at the photo gives a good indication as to whether this material will service as a good fire resistant material. Keep in mind, the ants already processed the soil to clay , mingling in the pieces of grass as well...it makes for a light but extremely dense material....

User

Update:
    I spend some time to complete the tensioner adjuster ...I still need to cast the aluminium idler wheel to use with the tensioner...I did commence with the charcoal /air melting furnace..I am using a twenty five liter steel drum as the furnace container.
    Photos will follow, I am busy downloading the photos....
    The adjuster/tensioner :

Photos of the charcoal furnace to melt the aluminium..
    Inside of the steel container:

Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 30-08-2016 at 20:09.

User

That looks great. Good thing the paint was lead free

This build and the other one has inspired me to get my ass moving.
    Took a drive this afternoon and got some insulation material for my forge and some steel for the grinder. Got an idea for the idler wheels. Just need to find a 220v motor and I'm building.

If gun site does not get me spending on guns then it's on other things. Thanks for that...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Farmertron View Post
    When melting aluminum, I found out rather early that adding a lid to the crucible really helps to cut down in the oxide layer. Also the longer you leave it to cool in the mold the harder it gets.
    Yes Farmertron, you are correct, from a safety point of view it is true as well, molted aluminium is hazardous if it spill on you...I will make use of a pipe mold that hinges open..I will commence building the mold tomorrow along with he furnace... I decided to cast all the wheels I will need form aluminium, even the nylon bearing wheels on the platen will be substitute with cast aluminium..
    The casted wheels will then be turn to specifications on the lathe...bearings will be inserted as well..only the drive wheel will not have bearings...I will make use of a large bearing outer ring to make my drive wheel from..the inside will have a piece of teflon pressed into the bearing to fit the shaft ...

User

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    That looks great. Good thing the paint was lead free

This build and the other one has inspired me to get my ass moving.
    Took a drive this afternoon and got some insulation material for my forge and some steel for the grinder. Got an idea for the idler wheels. Just need to find a 220v motor and I'm building.

If gun site does not get me spending on guns then it's on other things. Thanks for that...
    Beast, thank you for the positive reply, it is much appreciated. I did use ant heap clay mixed with perlite to isolate my forge ..you can not believe how well this mixture holds up and increased the forging heat...I will mix more ant heap clay and perlite tomorrow to cast the charcoal forge insides with...this clay mixture can withstand 1500 degree celsius . When adding lime to the mixture it even increase the heat resistance of the clay mix.... Follow my casting of the aluminium wheels for the belt grinder project, I am sure you will see how easy it is to melt and cast these wheels...turning them on a lathe and fitting bearings is really simple and easy...

User

I did spend some time today to work on the smelter, as well as fitting the rest of the belt sander. Fortunately, I did get hold of aluminium and cut it in pieces ready to be melted. I will mix the ant heap clay/perlite tomorrow and start casting it in the drum of the furnace...when this step is completed I will cast the lid as well.
    The inner drum :

Collected aluminium:
    The aluminium collected , is part of a motorcar engine top, so it is pure quality aluminium.

Fitting the table rest:

I still need to turn two 12 mm bolts with a chamfered head to fit the platen to the slide. Note the outer bearing rim at the back of the machine..this will be my drive wheel, I need to turn it level and fit a disk of teflon by pressing it into the rim. the wheel then will be my drive wheel fitted to the motor shaft...all the nylon wheels will be substituted with the aluminium idler wheels ....The next component I need to complete is the small wheel attachment ....
    Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 31-08-2016 at 18:41.

User

The next component I need to complete is the small wheel attachment. Fortunately I have rubber rollers I sourced from a printer with different diameters. All I need to do is to cut them to size on the lathe and fit them to the small wheel attachment component. I will then be able to grind small diameter features on a knife blade and handle...here are photos of the small wheel attachment component:

User

The drive wheel will consist of the bearing outer rim where the inside will consist of a teflon disk fitting tight in the bearing ring. I will then drill a hole in the teflon disk to fit over the motor shaft..the bearing ring I will use is at the back of the frame...

User

Had some time to work on casting the refractory mix for the charcoal /air aluminium smelting furnace. The mix consist of equal parts of ant heap clay and perlite and a few hands full of lime to bind the mix.
    Casting procedures are easy and simple, pour the wet mix into the container, work it around with a piece of wood. Let it cure for at least six hours before removing the air /oil blasting pipe.

Members, I decided to develop a oil burner system for this furnace as well..my first melt will be by using charcoal and air....the next system will be oil/air burning system while lighting the system consist of wood off cuts to heat up the furnace.
    I did build a crucible today, two of them. I build a device to remove the crucible from the furnace after the aluminum melted.
    Then I will build a pouring handle to hold the crucible when pouring the melted aluminum.

The Mix:
    Equal parts ant heap clay/perlite/water (handful of lime)
    Smashing the ant heap material to finer granules.

Part ant-heap clay:

Part Perlite/handful lime:

Mix and pour:
    The base :

Filling up the container:

All the way up to the top:

Now it needs to cure for at least six hours before removing the inside pipe and the air pipe ...
    The crucible ready to weld the bottom on.

Working on the crucible grip handle to remove the crucible from the furnace with molten aluminium..

Will build the pour handle , the handle I will use to pour the molten aluminium with from the crucible with it`s snout,,,

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast