Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 72" x2" Knife blade Belt sander machine build

I completed the adjuster /idler wheel of the tensioner unit today, will upload photos tomorrow. Will commence with the platen roller bearing wheels tomorrow...

User

Update:
    I completed the idler/tensioner wheel today, Johan Greyling assisted me in turning a crown . The adjuster/idler wheel is completed now and will be fitted to the sanding machine tomorrow.
    Turning the crown...

I then commenced with the two roller bearing wheels for the platen.

I will complete the two wheels for the platten tomorrow

User

This project is nearing it`s final stages..I will complete the platen rollers tomorrow and start to put the final touches and finishing on the grinder. The last step will be to fit the motor. As soon as the grinder is completed I will look for weaknesses and correct it. My aim is to laser cut solid square bars for the large contact wheel as well as for the small wheel attachment , I need to get this sanding machine as solid as possible...it needs to function for the next ten years at least...

User

You must have some serious knife making lined up for yourself Gert. The good thing about a 12 inch (300mm) contact wheel is that with coarse belts in the 40-60 grit range, it can be used for a great deal of other grinding as well so it becomes a multi purpose machine.

User

Hallo Von Gruff,
    I think the aluminium casting exercise worked out splendidly, these rollers are great to look at and to fit on my belt sander..the sander really will look nice when all is in place...

No not really serious knife work ahead, just a charcoal forged bush knife for myself and two friends to start with. I then want to make myself a few sharp kitchen knives as well. I really would like to convert an old large ax head to a Viking battle ax for splitting wood for fire wood .

I will commence with my power hammer shortly, as soon as all the fixtures of the belt sander is completed...I need the power hammer to forge thick steel cable into Bowie knifes...I still need to make a nice Bowie knife for a friend who gave me twenty two Giraffe bones, so I have ample bone to make knifes with....

User

I have seen a few of the steel cable forged knives and have to say that I am more inclined toward them than much of the garish damascus that is being made and shown n th knife forums now.

Speaking of contact wheels. If your wish was to make hunting type / skinning type knives and you could have only one contact wheel what diameter would it be?
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

I wouldn't like to only have the one. I have a 300mm, a 75mm and a 22mm which all come into play.

User

Andrew, I sourced as many wheels and rollers for the belt sander as possible, it just gives you more options. As I commence sanding knife blades I will see what works and what not...

Hi Gert,

Where did you source your 250 and 300mm from?

Cheers
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast