Talking New Stuart Smith Custom - Part 1

I have to share this one. It was finished for me today by Stuart Smith of JHB. It's a Finnish style hunter (Cold Steel has a version they call the Finn-Bear). It was forged by Stuart out of 52100, with a black ivory handle, and stainless bolster and butt-cap. As far as Scandinavian knives go, I am not really a Puuko fan, but this hunter style I love - it has a high grind and I asked Stuart to give it at least a 1:1 blade to handle ratio. If this isn't sexy, then I don't know what is!
    Last edited by Seneschal; 03-05-2010 at 19:47.

Talking New Stuart Smith Custom - Part 2

Drool-worthy or what?
    Last edited by Seneschal; 03-05-2010 at 19:47.

Wow!

Nice to see the whole process.

Default Forged blade

Hi Kevin

Stuart actually photographed the whole process and ended up sending me about 17 photos in all. A lot of them showed interesting details of the knife-making process but it was just too much to load here unfortunately. Stuart has also made a traditional Scandinavian hanger sheath for it.

And, like so many other knives, and in spite of Stuart's encouragement to the contrary, I like it too much to use it in the field. It may just spend its days being a pampered drawer queen.

Beautiful!

Nothing like seeing a custom blade come together!

Very nice......
    MOLON LABE

User

Hi Seneschal

What does a knife that cost?

Regards
    Tarmac

Default Knife cost

Hi Tarmac

Let me do a shameless punt for Stuart Smith. But let me also add right away that I have absolutely no financial interest in his business. Stuart charged me R1450 for the knife. In my books, that is a fantastic price for a hand-forged knife, made by a man who was trained, amongst others, by Kevin Harvey. The price will vary according to the material you select for a knife (damascus steel, which Stuart makes himself, will cost more, for example). I have turned over quite a few of Stuart's knives in my hands, and they range from R1400 to about R2800 (give-or-take).

User

Default Stuart's knives

Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    I have turned over quite a few of Stuart's knives in my hands, and they range from R1400 to about R2800 (give-or-take).
    Get Stuart's knives while they are still affordable. His quality is good, fit and finish is at guild level, some of his designs are still a bit clunky, but that is my personal taste and prejudice. His work will become highly sought after within the next five years if he keeps on making and striving for perfection.