Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: What's it like in the Low Veld near Hoedspruit ?

Ds J
    PS. I got my wires crossed on Sabie Coffee. I was thinking of another place. I will make a point of getting a cup of Sabie coffee when i go through White River.
    Thanks again, for the tip. Abrum

I just got back from hunting in the Lowveld near Hoedspruit. What a wonderful area. I was my 6th hunt in South africa and one of the best. The land and the people are awesome. ( Land was terribly dry. The wildebeests were so thin they looked like bicycles.)

Three buffalo with three .577 NE cast bullet out of my home built single shot. (700 gr. at 1750 fps.)
    I and the two PH's were very surprised at the way it killed. From what I have read, most people have no idea what a hammer the .577 with cast bullets really is. The buff didn't run and buck for 30-40 yds like they did with my 375HH. The just surrendered and trotted/stumbled off to a nearby thorn thicket to lie down and die.

User

Glad you enjoyed the hunt.
    This country is awesome!

Banned

Abrum, please share a photo or two of your. 577? And if there is time for it, please tell us what you saw and did beyond the hunting? It is always interesting to hear an outside opinion and experience.

Ds J, Thank you for your interest. The story will be published in The African Sporting Gazette as early as January. I will try to get a couple of photos on this forum. ( I am getting away from posting my pictures, observations, expriments and project on forums. There seems to be enough jerks aroung to take the fun out of it.)

We were about 20 kms north of the the Drakensburg Mountains on a Farm/Concervancy. This huge place was divide into three area. The area we hunted in was about 2000 acres with no cross fencing and the beautiful. Klaserie River meandered throughnmost of it,The Shangaan people were hard working, grateful and joyous. Senior black staff carried legal pistols all the time. So did most of the white staff. Poaching has become a war. ( We were hunting during a "poachers moon" and it gave us a little extra to think about.)

Everyone really enjoyed my 15 lb. rifle, especially the skinners. They loved to handle it and hold the cartrdge. After learning how well it killed the first two buffalos, one of the skinners honored the rifle with a African name. It was christened with roars of laughter all around. It will always be "Vati Kaki" to us. This means "Doesn't Take Shit". We laughed a lot in the bush and in camp. I can't wait to go back there with my wife and hunt buffalo for a week then poke around the Lowveld of a month.

The skinning shed can be one of the best places on a hunting camp. But this one was a also a place celebration and thanksgiving. Always in inattendance was some ladies amd barefoot children. Both white and black. It was the happenin' place to be at the end of the day. While we watched the efficient workers and waited for our bullets to be recovered we shared a lot of excellent conversation. As usual you can learn a lot at the the skinning shed and have a lot of fun but this skinning shed was a particularly vibrant place.

You guys are right. The Low Veld is an Awsome area.

DS J and Epsilon, I will have a video completed and posted on You Tube. I will tell you when it is done.

Banned

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it so much and returned home without scratches few either man or animal.

Hello again Ds J and Epsilon,

It just occured to me that you may know of good places to hunt Buffalo Cows. If so, please tell me.

I was hunting at Buffalo Land Safaris, south of Hoedspruit. Wonderful place. The land and the Klaserie river took my breath away. I can't stop thinking about it.

Banned

The hunting in the countries to the north of SA (Angola, Zimbabwe, Zambia etc) is supposed to be cheaper.

Otherwise I would refer you to Janno Otto Safari's. I know him personnally and to the best of my knowledge he has a lot of happy US clients.

http://www.jannieotto.com/

User

@Abrum , please post photos of your rifle as well as the Buffalo that you hunted.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast