User

Default The Classic .358 Winchester - "A LITTLE BIG THUMPER"

THE 358 WINCHESTER
    A True Hunters Cartridge
    A Classic With Style And Lots Of Punch

I passed by my neighbor’s house the other day and we took a ride in his completely restored 1955 Bel Air, two-tone mint green and white Chevy. It has been a long time since I road in one of these classic cars. I did not expect much when he ask me to ride with him because I forgot just how cool it was. Man what a ride! That V8 rumbled with a hypnotic rhythm stirring my emotions, while bringing back memories of cool times and smooth rides. There are so many today that don't know what it is like to ride in a classic that has character and style. Sometimes we don’t know due to a lack of experience with an old version of something and how it is so simply wonderful.

That is how I think it is with the 358Win cartridge. What a wonderful, simple, accurate and efficient design that has a style of it’s own. It has been around since Winchester introduced in back in 1955. The 358Win can be acquired in chambering by more than one company. I truly am impressed not only with the cartridge but with my Ruger Hawkeye chambered in 358Win topped by a VX-III 1.5-5x20mm.

It is a straight-forward design being necked up from the 308 cartridge to 35 caliber and of course it fits in short actions which reduce weight but also enhance it’s accuracy potential. Without a doubt I believe the 358Win to not only be a great classic but a true hunter’s cartridge. Now what do I mean by the statement that the 358Win is a true hunter’s cartridge? Let me give the following examples that will help explain what I am trying to say.

The 358Win is truly a hunter's cartridge in that it is a 0-300yd big time thumper. Throwing a 225gr bullet down range with velocities that are perfect for thick brush while providing enough energy and momentum to drop any hog,deer, elk, black bear, moose and yes even brown bear. You will not do long range shooting with this cartridge, but whatever you hit without having a bunch of hold over from 0-300yds, will drop dead and usually falls right where you hit it.

Most hunters in North america even when they are elk hunting out west, have shots that are many times between 30 and 100yds. Often times an animal is partially obscured by intervening brush or timber that we do not notice or fail to pay attention to and we want a bullet to penetrate that slight unseen cover with reasonable certainty. The 358Win excels at punching through unexpected brush without a lot of deflection.

On top of that we want to punch a good size hole going in one side and out the other, sucking in air and blowing out blood through the exit hole - so as to have a blood trail if tracking is needed and the animal is not instantly dropped. It becomes really important to knock down your game quickly when you hunt in an area where there are lots of other hunters or dangerous carnivorous animals that want your prize. On top of that and especially when in tick woods and in some areas of North America, Canada, or tick bush in parts of Africa, you could encounter large dangerous game unexpectedly and the extra margin that the 358Win gives a hunter, just might be needed.

To put it simply, the 358Win classifies as medium-range cartridge that offers possibilities, that aren't there with lesser cartridges. It offers a shorter rifle for quick handling in tight places. I believe it to be a true contender that can handle large and even dangerous game (within limits) at short ranges. All this while being housed in a short action with a 22" barrel and giving the hunter confidence in taking anything from a deer to a brown.

Ballistic Chart
    358Win Ruger Hawkeye
    225gr Accubond
    2555fps
    Ramshot TAC powder
    Sight in at 3" high at 100yds

1000 foot pounds energy as minimum on deer size game

Yards--------Velocity-----Energy-----(above/below line of sight)

0--------------2555------3261-------------(-1.5")

100-----------2348------2275-------------(+3")

220-----------2213------2232-------------(Zero)

275-----------2010------2095-------------(-5”)

313-----------1941------1881-------------(-10")

The cartridge is highly accurate as demonstrated in my out of the box Ruger Hawkeye with no extra work of any kind done to the rifle.

Three shot group using AA2495BR

Ballistic Chart
    358Win
    225gr Sierra SBT
    2471fps
    AA2495BR

Sight in at 3" high at 100yds

1000 foot pounds energy as minimum on deer size game

Yards--------Velocity-----Energy-----(above/below line of sight)

0--------------2471------3050-------------(-1.5")

100-----------2256------2542-------------(+3")

210-----------2031------2060-------------(Zero)

263-----------1927------1855-------------(-5”)

300-----------1857------1723-------------(-10”)

The 358Win is just to good of a cartridge and certainly a very useful one to be forgotten or neglected. Easy recoil considering you are throwing down range a 180gr, 200gr, 225gr or even a 250gr bullet and the thump it gives down range on game is impressive. Easy to load for and very forgiving when it comes to finding accuracy with many powders like, IMR3031, IMR4198, RL-7, H4895, IMR4895, IMR4064, IMR4320, Varget, Tac, AA2495BR, BL-C2 just to name a few. I call it "A LITTLE BIG THUMPER" and what a thumper it is and what a joy to carry in the field.

In this day and time of speed and more speed, one just needs to drive a classic to appreciate the easy drive. The same is true of the 358Win. One has to take one to the range and then to the field and see what is so cool about this classic from 1955. You won't be disappointed in the least, I promise. In fact you will be surprised at how it handles, just how easy it is to shoot and hunt with, while giving you so much in return. By: Mike Price

Another interesting post , thanks PF. Have never had the opportunity to fire a 358. Does look like it would make a good bushveld rifle.

Any locals using it for hunting?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Very nice review Pathfinder.

I have a US friend who has extensively hunted in the African bushveld for the past 20 years and has been doing his bushveld hunting with a variety of calibers starting with a 338 some years ago and then a 375 and 30-06 with his pre-final caliber choice the 358 with 225gr Swift A-Frames with which he had excellent results on bushveld game.

His finally reached his goal of finding the best all round bushveld caliber in the 9,3x62 with 286gr bullets (quite something taking into considration he is American and the 9,3 is does not really have a history in the US).

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post
    Another interesting post , thanks PF. Have never had the opportunity to fire a 358. Does look like it would make a good bushveld rifle.

Any locals using it for hunting?
    Thanks FrankH, I use it here and in Canada of that kind of cover, as you put it bushveld.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Very nice review Pathfinder.

I have a US friend who has extensively hunted in the African bushveld for the past 20 years and has been doing his bushveld hunting with a variety of calibers starting with a 338 some years ago and then a 375 and 30-06 with his pre-final caliber choice the 358 with 225gr Swift A-Frames with which he had excellent results on bushveld game.

His finally reached his goal of finding the best all round bushveld caliber in the 9,3x62 with 286gr bullets (quite something taking into considration he is American and the 9,3 is does not really have a history in the US).
    Interesting what your friend used and concluded. I have used and hunted in the US as well a Canada and used the 338win mag, 35 Whelen, 338-06 and of course the 35Win. Hands down for cover as described as bushveld, I choose the 35Win with using the 225gr Partition, Accubond, at 2550fps, the Sierra SBT at 2471fps and the 250gr Partition at 2385fps.

User

Pathfinder, do some research on the 9,3 - I think you will like it a lot if you like the 358.

I know

Mine does 286gr bullets at 2250f/s with Norma Oryx and I have just had excellent hunting results. It is easy to shoot, easy to carry, easy to reload, very accurate.

It has a long projectile for cailber and gives excellent penetration.

My friend uses Barnes and Nosler Partitions in his 9,3. Personally I do not like the Noslers for loosing weight in tough game like Wildebeest and Eland. Bill says there is not a thing walking the planet that it will not put down and with carefull shot placement on the big stuff it will work fine although it is not a charge stopper.

Many an Cape Buff and Ele have fallen to the 9,3 especialy in Rhodesia/Zim.

User

Thank you, but I have played with the 9.3 at are shooting club with two of our members 9.3's. I have much easier access to all the components for the 358Win than I do the 9.3 and the 358Win is cheaper to load for and shoot as I stay in practice with it. The 9.3 is an outstanding cartridge as is the 358Win.

User

A short action version of my favourite 220gr load in 30-06.
    With less BC and SD.

Would have done really well in the bushveld.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    Thank you, but I have played with the 9.3 at are shooting club with two of our members 9.3's. I have much easier access to all the components for the 358Win than I do the 9.3 and the 358Win is cheaper to load for and shoot as I stay in practice with it. The 9.3 is an outstanding cartridge as is the 358Win.
    Understandable - out here it is exactly the opposite iro components.

User

I have a friend who has a Marlin lever rifle in this caliber. He is very happy with it in the bush.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.