Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Rem 700 Police 338 Lapua

In terms of long range capability, you really want a 27" barrel. 26" would suffice at a push, but even that would limit you. I wouldn't go shorter than that. I played with a Blaser Tac2 in this cal for about a year, and the 27" barrel on that puppy really allowed one to get the most out of this wonderful cal.

if you're looking for high bc bullets look at Rocky Mountain Bullets. Not cheap, but nothing on a 338LM is cheap.

User

Quote Originally Posted by spoegwolf View Post
    A-R I agree with above statement , velocity on my setup will be similar to factory 700.Maybe I should just make peace with the rifle as is,shoot it and rebarrrel in future.I have a ATAC silencer fitted....wouldn't the muzeblast shorten the lifespan of a silencer with such a short barrel?
    The muzzle pressure will be slightly higher, on the shorter barrel, but the total amount of hot gas going through will be the same, irrespective of the barrel length. So I do not think the silencer's lifespan will be greatly affected. The usefull service life of any silencer depends more on design and materials used.

User

OK...plan as follows....keeping rifle for now and will start experimenting with 250gr Accubonds.Am currently getting 2520 fps with 300gr Nosler ammo loaded with Accubonds ex factory.Try to get 2700 fps with the 250 grainers (handloads)and will suffice for now.In long run get replacemeent barrel (27") and at same time blueprint the action.

Really appreciate all the help.

User

You could also go longer. 30" or even 32" would be useable. Just most barrel blanks are not long enough...

I'm really struggling to follow the 'problem here'.
    I've shot a 308 Accuracy International AX with a 18" barrel out to 840y (770m) no problem at all ! (Managed to clear a 6 x 30cm plate rack at that range with it.)

With taking the integrated brake off, you've not exactly 'shortened' the barrel by much, unless you removed a whole lot more off the barrel behind the brake. (ie. the first chamger of the integrated brake is the end of the muzzle.)
    So.... I really wouldn't be crying over 1 or 2 max inches (i.e. 25-50fps).

I personally would go with a suppressor over a muzzle brake... any and every day of the week.
    Yes, there is a little increase in 'measured' recoil, but a lot less in 'perceived' (recoil + concussive blast) recoil.
    With a suppressor it sort of feels softer, and a little less violent...and it's 'other shooter friendly' (ie. your buddies will still speak to you).

If you really want to get fussy, then get the best bullet in the 338 category:
    http://www.bergerbullets.com/update-...e-338-hybrids/
    http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/all-bullets/ (see bottom of page - get the 300gn Hybrids (if your twist supports it))
    ...which will get the most out of the rifle at Extended Long Ranges (more so than 1-2 inches of barrel length).

Just remember that the longer the barrel, the more like a fishing pole it becomes, and a lot less maneuverable (especially with a suppressor).
    Sure, for pure bench/prone square range... who cares, but if you're planning on using it in the bush, or in tactical type competition, then a long barrel is not optimal.

Now stop worrying, and go out and shoot that awesome rifle !!!

User

dAyLiTe that's the plan.....my initial impression was that the gunsmith shortened the barrel more than what was required,which ended up not being the case.The rifle handles and shoots like a dream with the ATAC silencer so for now its back to load developement and getting accuracy out of the rig.Ive only shot 225gr Nosler and 300gr Nosler factory ammo....next will be 250 grain Accubonds that I will start handloading as I have enough cases now to play with.I'll definately will also try the Berger bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2