Default A sleeper folder... musings on the SOG Pentagon Elite

Over the years I've owned dozens of knives, literally!

Went through all the major brands and eventually found my favourites.

Most lived up to my expectations. One though, I wasn't expecting. It was a surprise and became even more special as a result, given that I had kind of 'discovered' it for myself.

That knife was the SOG Pentagon Elite.

Bear in mind there are cheaper knives, and more expensive ones. But the SOG PE offers that elusive quality that is hard to find - excellent value for money. For around $100 you get an excellent folder than is made to very high standards and is unique in its own way.

Here's what I like about it:

Size - its the perfect size. Blade is 4 inches and the overall length is 9 inches. Its also light due to the use of nylon scales with steel liners. Most people prefer G-10 for good reason but these do the job just fine. The diamond pattern texturing offers the perfect amount of grip.

Blade - the blade profile on the Pentagon Elite is unique. Its a dagger shape! Not very typical at all. Designed as a folding version of the Pentagon fixed blade, the Elite offers the same profile, except its single edged. It also has the excellent SOG Shark Tip point. This is a unique point design that is sharpened on both sides for about 5mms and its pretty fantastic in use, especially when opening stubborn items like blister packs. Works a treat!

Steel - The PE is VG-10. Many will be familiar with this steel because Spyderco uses it in all their Endura/Delica knives. Its an excellent mid-range Japanese steel. I have grown to like it a lot.

Lock - SOG's Arc lock is a variant of my favourite lock, the Benchmade Axis. Some say the Arc is even better because it doesn't have an omega spring that may break. I have to say its a great lock. Solid, no movement, and all knives with these lock types are super smooth out of the box.

Other - Great clip and due to the dagger profile the blade disappears almost entirely into the scales, making for a very slim knife all round.

The Pentagon Elite is a cool knife. SOG has done a lot of dumb things to their range lately but lucky for us they left the Pentagon Elite the hell alone. If you dont like the dagger profile its also available in a regular drop point with a slight recurve. But the dagger profile is unique and I like it a lot.

Default Re: A sleeper folder... musings on the SOG Pentagon Elite

Thanks for the review. For emergency deployment into SD use I would prefer a finger choil or some sort of item preventing your hand from slipping over the blade.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Yes good point. I personally dont buy folders for self defence but you're right, that would be ideal.

It reminds me a bit of the Al Mar Sere.

Same steel, too.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    It reminds me a bit of the Al Mar Sere.

Same steel, too.
    I miss my Al Mar Sere 2000 which I sold on this here forum 2 years ago. Was a bit heavy but a solid knife.

Thanks for the review OP