Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Specific Questions wrt AR

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing an AR, to be used for 3 Gun Discipline as well as vermin control. I can obtain a used Colt LE 6920MPS-B which has shot 250 shots. I am told that this firearm had no problems shooting factory loaded ammo, but did have a few stoppages with reloads which were either Nobletech or Diplopoint. I need assistance on the following:

1. Is R 23 000.00 a fair price to pay for the Colt?
    2. Does this rifle run well suppressed?
    3. Which would be best between the Colt LE 6920 and S&W M&P 15 with forward assist, in terms of build quality, reliability and for the intended purpose.

My knowledge with regards to MSR's is limited and I would therefore appreciate any additional comments and advice not related to my questions.

Thank you.

User

Default Re: Specific Questions wrt AR

Erm....my 2c....dont use Nobletech or Diplopoint....use factory or roll your own...problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    Erm....my 2c....dont use Nobletech or Diplopoint....use factory or roll your own...problem solved.
    Thanks for the advice

User

R23k if I recall correctly is close to the new price of a colt. Although I see it comes with magpul furniture. I will let someone with more pricing knowledge comment.

Although you will be served well with a colt as it is one of the best brands.

What 3 Gun do you want to use it for?

For vermin control, you will need to put a scope on so you will probably want to put a low profile gas block and free float rail on. I dont like the A post in my scope when shooting

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    R23k if I recall correctly is close to the new price of a colt. Although I see it comes with magpul furniture. I will let someone with more pricing knowledge comment.

Although you will be served well with a colt as it is one of the best brands.

What 3 Gun do you want to use it for?

For vermin control, you will need to put a scope on so you will probably want to put a low profile gas block and free float rail on. I dont like the A post in my scope when shooting
    Thank you for your reply.
    I am totally new to this. The intention is to participate in IDPA. The town that I live in does not have clubs that offer any 3Gun Sports. I am in the process of inquiring which of my neighboring towns have clubs affiliated to SADPA.
    1. Would you know where I can purchase a new Colt as this would suit me best.
    2. Any idea of approximately how costly would it be to remove the A post and prepare for scoped use.
    3. Is the Colt suited to suppressed use?
    I am a total novice in this regard and am researching the rules and options. I appreciate your experienced and valued advice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by .45 View Post
    2. Any idea of approximately how costly would it be to remove the A post and prepare for scoped use.
    Hacksaw + 10mins = done

Have you looked at a CQA or the stag from Tac Shac ?

User

Hailstorm sells Colt. Maybe contact them to see if they have stock?

User

Quote Originally Posted by .45 View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    I am totally new to this. The intention is to participate in IDPA. The town that I live in does not have clubs that offer any 3Gun Sports. I am in the process of inquiring which of my neighboring towns have clubs affiliated to SADPA.
    1. Would you know where I can purchase a new Colt as this would suit me best.
    3. Is the Colt suited to suppressed use?
    I am a total novice in this regard and am researching the rules and options. I appreciate your experienced and valued advice.
    What area are you in?

If you are not set on the 2nd hand deal and a Colt there are other options in the price range of R20 - R25k

- Sig M400
    - Colt
    - S&W M&P (not sport but there are a few configurations)
    - Stag Arms

You can speak to Hailstorm or Bernhard Agencies and they will help you out

The quality of suppressor is more important to the type of AR that you will use. But you will then have to play around with buffers and carriers to get the optimal performance out of it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    Hacksaw + 10mins = done

Have you looked at a CQA or the stag from Tac Shac ?
    He has 23k or so to spend

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    He has 23k or so to spend
    CQA/stag + rail + mags + adj gas block + silencer = 23k + carrier group + buffers + optic + ammo + training + reloading press

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast