Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: "R-4 IS N KAK WAPEN!" ....

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    A-R, no doubt. I never was a great shot with the R4. I did slightly better with the 81mm mortar. I would love to see what I do with an R4 today, without the stress, sweat and fogged-up glasses.
    I would need a decent scope mounted on it, to get any good out of it. Excellent 1980 technology though...

I must say, I always preferred the R1. Back then, the extra weight of the ammo didn't bother me much. The FNMAG 58 was even better.

User

Sounds like the same stuff some people told me over time. (a lorry full of buLL....) eg..

He was a "Sergeant" (not a Corporal) instructor the 2nd year during his 2 years NS (National Service). (Sergeant was reserved for PF a Short Term members.

or He was a "Captain" and flying Mirages during his 2 year NS while stationed at Valhalla (Not Waterkloof/ Full LT was reserved for PF)).

or He became a Recce stationed at HQ PTA while wearing a brown beret (admin core) after basics. When asked if he was ever in Durban or Saldanha the answer was "No, there are no military units in those towns"

or When he enlisted for his 2 years Voluntary Military service he had to attend 2 interviews with the General before being accepted (while the regional Commander was only a Commandant)

or His R1 shot through the thick top part of a railway track

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    I know for a fact that I could not hit a man-sized target at 200m with my R4. Probably just me.
    Probably. The rifle is more than capable of it.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    if it was so "awesome" why do no top ranked sport shooters use it...
    Same reason we eat McDonald's and wear Levi's. Everyone wants to use what the Americans use and they don't get to use the Galil.(partly joking but there is a good bit of truth in the aforementioned)The AR and it's parts are damm cheap over there. It is lighter, cheaper, easy to scope mount and the safety is easily accessible. It does have a bolt release (another advantage) and mag release are arguably easier. (not for me as I keep hitting the dust cover)On the plus side of the R, it is overbuilt (like a tank) and the parts fit and machining is superb. Heck even the trigger on my LM is easily as good as a Geiselle SSA trigger I have on an AR. It must have cost a fortune to build them to that standard. All of which sadly makes it too heavy. Makes an AKM feel featherweight in comparison.They are also more accurate than given credit for as evidenced by how well our teams seem to do in international (army) competitions.It is certainly the equal of a stock M4 in my personal experience.The reality is had let's say the Americans adopted a Galil and not the AR one can pretty much bet we would today be saying why isn't the AR being used by any top ranked sports shooters. Training,familiarity and maybe a few mods would have sorted out any of the Galils perceived shortcomings. See the Galil ACE.The AR sure wasn't perfect from the start and even up till a few years ago reliability enhancements were still being introduced. Sadly R development probably stopped pre 94.

User

Here is a test....take 4 mags with 2 rounds in each.....put 3 on a table and one in the gun.....when the timer goes, shoot all 8 rounds into a target at.....say 10/20m.

But,start with 1 in the chamber, safety on, shoot 2, replace mag, shoot 2, replace mag, etc.

Tell me which gun gets the best time.....AK vs AR vs LMxyz vs anything else.

User

Question? Is the R4 and the Galil the same design and does it use a rotation bolt like ARs ?

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    Question? Is the R4 and the Galil the same design and does it use a rotation bolt like ARs ?
    The R4 is a Galil with a couple of improvements. For all practical purposes they can be considered as one and the same thing.

In terms of their operating system and how their action and trigger group works, they are pure Kalashnikov. But they are probably better built than any Kalashnikov ever was - depending upon your perception and how you choose to measure things. They certainly are good rifles, if somewhat heavy and overbuilt. Shooting even a short barreled R6 shows practically no recoil at all.

They are on the whole, very good pieces of kit. The problem is in terms of adapting accessories (though a few makers make some aftermarket bits and whatever fits on a Galil should fit on an R series rifle) for them as they have not really been much developed since the 1980's – but the core firearm remains pretty solid.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 18-09-2016 at 16:49.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

my ford is better,your toyota is kak[substitute ford and toyota with any other 2 products],this is what i took from the video.

In 1981 we opened up the first,or certainly one of the first,shipments of Galils from Israel in wooden crates marked as canned food produce.This was end january and i was to live with the Galil and R4 for the next 3 years and a few "camps" although we were issued R1"s on a couple of camps.

In not 1000 rounds fired but litterally 100"s of thousands of rounds in all sorts of conditions with the 2 variants,i never,not once saw or had a malfunction.This is more than i can say about the R1.

A lot has been said about the R1 vs R4 as far as reliabillity and accuracy are concerned.All i will say is that the average troop was more likely to hit what he was shooting at with an R4.

Some of us carried captured AK"s on patrol but it was more of the "cool" factor involved than any other reason.

I have a lot of respect for the R4 and a man grows used to what works for him and what he trusts.This works both ways and the men who were used to and trusted the R1 were reluctant to change.R1 or R4 or AK .....yup....they worked,36 years ago,and they are still fine weapons.

My response to the toppie in the video would be ..ja oom..and i would walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    Here is a test....take 4 mags with 2 rounds in each.....put 3 on a table and one in the gun.....when the timer goes, shoot all 8 rounds into a target at.....say 10/20m.But,start with 1 in the chamber, safety on, shoot 2, replace mag, shoot 2, replace mag, etc.Tell me which gun gets the best time.....AK vs AR vs LMxyz vs anything else.
    I would argue irrelevant in the real world particularly given the the R5 has a 35 and even 50 round issue mag. (as in battle tested and real millspec)

User

If this weekend's 3GN comp was to be believed, we should all go back to AK's. My NEA: a Magpul window'd mag decided that it was no longer going to single feed food to the AR. And it was my second mag for the COF. The 40rd Magpul worked perfectly. Left two perfectly untouched poppers at the back of the range, and 27 cartridges at my feet... First stage, match blown. Second stage. Load, err, no. Won't go into battery. Remove mag, tilt out cartridge. Still won't go into battery, without any mag/cartridge. Fuckit.

2 CQA's were also not good advertisements for AR's that day in my detail.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast