Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: .357 warthog / much a shooting little a result.

Ahhhh ! - must do every thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    As Treeman said, I got great accuracy from the Impalas. I am unlikely to hunt with them much though, as I prefer using a 44Mag for hunting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Ahhhh ! - must do every thing
    It's a hard live but someone must do it

Banned

Was more looking at the Peregrines in 147 gr - large metplate won't deform - light enough for velocity/ flat shot and heavy enough to qualify for penetration
    http://www.peregrinebullets.co.za/in...6#ballistics-6

Considered a 158gr wadcutter driven by S265?

User

I have no experience with the light brass bullets in a 357. I suspect they will give sharp recoil when pushed to the velocities needed to give enough penetration.

The 180 gn XTP bullet should work well enough, if pushed to about 1200fps. Expansion is not excessive and they normally penetrate well. I would not hesitate to use them on pigs, if only a 357 is available.

I like heavy cast lead bullets. The RCBS 35-200 is nice. Without a gas check it tends to tumble occasionally. (And gas checks are somewhat scarce.) My mould is now modified to throw a 215 gn flat based bullet without grease groove. I powder coat them. 5,5gn MP200 or 7,5gn S221 should push it to around 950fps from a 6" barrel.

The various SWC types from 180 - 200 gn should do well, if you can manage the recoil from the light gun. If not, stick with a 158 gn SWC and push it as fast as you can bear.

Whatever bullet you use, the 357 will always be marginal on pigs. I have shot quite a few with a 44 Mag, and even then shot placement is critical. I prefer 300 - 350 gn cast lead bullets with a large meplat. The 300 gn XTP has also served me well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    As you will notice my cloths took some pounding, but I got my pig. 6 bullets later. Was carting .357 and not intending to hunt with it, was between moving vehicles and so forth area disturbed - left rifle in van and walked to collect shot game. Hell there lies a sleeping pig, huh ? eyes open - it seemed to move - 357 barks and pig jerks dead, 15 m.
    Mmmha, easy this handgun hunting. Bakkie pulls up and we load pig, no we don't,no pig! gone. call dog and in I go, thick stuff. Get pig 20 ft deeper it jumps and departs 357 barks, and pig goes down. Hit it some where ?. hammer back and WTF pigs up turns to face me and I between eyes low it(look in picture). Drops like a brick. its doing the normal pig kicking story, shout call direct partner to spot - pigs gone . track search see dog hold up ahead, hear pig threatening 6/7 ft away but cant see it. Finally I make out form and shoot a quick shot some where. Pig ups and goes again, has a tumble and I shoot it behind head. It lays there kicking - I shoot it again, head !.
    Was like a half km of carrying - was not fun.

Turns out the pig had its front left leg shot off quiet high up, one of the shots in day must have hit this pig in back ground unknowingly, and just as by luck I stumbled on it.
    Now I am not so sure about this hand gun story, hell i am not doing that in a hurry again.
    Treeman, take a knopkierie with you next time..you will have a better chance to kill it...

Banned

me thinks you correct, but Gert few guys know a Warthog when it turns, really scarey and they seem to have a point and then they turn and come at you. bushpig just attack on sight and do not stop the attack. W/Hogs mock charges and growels etc and seem to turn at last mo. I would not like to test myself with a Kierrie or spear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Treeman, take a knopkierie with you next time..you will have a better chance to kill it...

Banned

What kinda load we use for these 200 gr bullets
    Quote Originally Posted by swc-tr View Post
    Agreed, applicable to all revolvers IMHO.
    Treeman, if you really want that .357 Maggie to shine, load some cast RCBS 35-200gr FNGC bullets and see how it penetrates and stops pigs!

User

Treeman...you wanna test yourself against a bushpig with a kirrie or a spear?
    I think that is a wonderfull idea...just remember...a video or it didnt happen.

User

Sorry,my bad,i see you said you would NOT want to.........chicken........it would make for one hell of an obituary on your tombstone.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast