Default Pointer training

Hi has anyone of here used Bovida training for there pointers
    i see they got a spot up here in Gauteng now

I am not keen on sending my baby away for training but would not mind day classes were i can be involved

User

Default Re: Pointer training

How about getting hold of these guys... http://german-shorthaired-pointer.co.za/

User

You must be involved in training your dog.
    Delegating the task to someone less is not the way to go.
    Also your dog is not machine, which once trained will be good to go for the next 10 years
    Throughout its life you will continually have watch for bad habits which you must correct immediately. If you have not done the ground work yourself you will probably not know how to fix the problem.
    The handler must be trained to train the dog
    There are no shortcuts.
    The SAFTC host training days on our club farm in Settlers or on a members farm in Heidelberg.
    You would be training your dog using a proven system developed over the last 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tracker View Post
    You must be involved in training your dog.
    Delegating the task to someone less is not the way to go.
    Also your dog is not machine, which once trained will be good to go for the next 10 years
    Throughout its life you will continually have watch for bad habits which you must correct immediately. If you have not done the ground work yourself you will probably not know how to fix the problem.
    The handler must be trained to train the dog
    There are no shortcuts.
    This.

My club takes in dogs for inboard obedience training. The owners - they aren't handlers - basically want a trained dog out the box, but don't want to put in the work.

The dogs tend to come back for refresher training because the owners don't maintain.

Dogs, working dogs in particular, are a lifestyle.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

For "handler" read "hunter"
    Handler sound more politically correct.

im doing pretty good with the training on my own its just hard to judge if im doing it right and i dont want to stuff anything up
    i don`t want to send my dog away for training i want to be involved i belong to HPR club of transvaal
    and spoke to the SAFTC yesterday and will be joining to make use of there training days

look its been alot of fun so far and i have enjoyed to a lot

User

Great, you are starting on a journey that will give you highs lows and many good times in between. The bond between a hunter and his dog is special, it must be experience too be understood.
    By being part of an active club you will meet many likeminded individuals who share your passion for working dogs, veld and wing shooting.
    Besides the group training the club also has training days were a pair of older experienced dogs hunt and have a general discussion after the round. What you learn after an afternoon will take months on you own.
    Good luck and welcome to the club see you at the training.

User

How's training going?
    Got a 5 month old trying to train her myself
    Swallows are driving her insane , especially when they fly low just before rain, also got a resident Thick knee giving her uphill.
    The thick knee believe it or not is mates with one of my other dogs
    What a challenge I have on my hands.

not to bad joinded SAVHD and have passed the first test and just missed out on the novice hunter test knew i should have prepared more. The test are good casue it gives you somthing to aim for and shows were you need to work
    sux that hunting season is over and we off the wild birds and back onto the caged pigions but its still awsome been out with your dog
    Dont stress about the swallows she is still a puppy and is having fun when she starts hunting and her drive kicks in she will soon figure out that its more fun pointing and finding birds on the ground that chasing them in the air

just have fun while she is a puppy

User

Unfortunately for us we would have to travel at least 300 km's to get to a gundog club
    Will have to suffer through u tube