Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Default Re: Novice Knife Makers Thread

this is a very tempting hobby!

User

I have one of those little Ryobi belt sanders. They get the job done. Get proper metal belts. I use belts from KMTS.CO.ZA Klingspor belts in various grades.

They are not very powerful, and the work bed is very small. other than that, I am happy. One day I might still get a decent belt grinder, but for me, making on2 or 2 knives a year, it is fine...

Thank you

User

Some things that work for me:
    Using taper bearings or any bearing to forge blades , it really is a great type of steel to work with. It holds an edge excellently...

Difficult when drilling holes in the handle or pin holes:
    Solution: Sharpen a masonry (cement drill bit) using a diamond grinding blade on a small grinder ( 110 mm diameter) when sharpened and you keep the drill bit cool with water you can drill all day long...it is not possible to sharpen the cement drill bit on normal grinding wheels , it does not get the bit sharp enough to drill through the bearing forged blade...only a diamond wheel will work to sharpen the cement drill bit...
    I use Nicholson small files to do "draw filing " forming the plunge line and the bevels..it takes time but the result is excellent..it ensures you to feel the distel taper from the spine of the blade to the fine edge...

I use the following type of woods for handles and scales that is nice to work with and gives a fine finishing: Tip: when working with these woods , wet them while sanding them, the wood surface does not burn and the wood is sanded down /form much faster than when you working it dry....when the belt sander belt tends to clog-up , use the sole of an old running shoe..it removes the clogging on the belt...
    Olien hout
    Tambotie
    Kameeldoring
    Rooibos wilg
    All indigenous woods that is beautiful great working with.

Good quality wet/dry sanding paper up to 1000gn is great to use when sanding...

Forges:
    Heavy /thick steel start with using your charcoal forge to work the steel into a rough blade. It saves a lot of gas ...

Gas forge: Use it to work the blade to final measurements/dimensions

When forging blades, you really do not need a monster of a belt grinder since you are able to forge the rough blade to near completed dimensions...
    Thank you for this thread, it really has a lot of excellent knowledge through trail/error, that is what custom knife making is all about...

Banned

I've been watching Forged in Fire, what an entertaining and educational Series

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    I've been watching Forged in Fire, what an entertaining and educational Series
    Do try your own forging work, no need to copy the Forge in Fire program, there are a lot of holes in the program that is not filled in ...the hardening and tempering part is lacking ..learn your own style of forging...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Do try your own forging work, no need to copy the Forge in Fire program, there are a lot of holes in the program that is not filled in ...the hardening and tempering part is lacking ..learn your own style of forging...
    When I finally find the time, I will contact you to advise and help me along

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    When I finally find the time, I will contact you to advise and help me along
    Find the time in the evenings, when nobody calls you on a phone, start with small steps and processes...if you wait to find time you will wait your whole life..there are rarely ever time to do the things you want to do and love to do.Stop your clock and start forging, it is easy, cheap and much much rewarding..look at my thread of last year , The Traveling Forge: That is the easiest/cheapest method to start forging...it is extremely effective, reach very high temperatures and ensure you are moving the steel fast..start with a simple kitchen knife blade, nothing fancy, complete the whole knife before moving on, make a few mistakes so you can correct it on your next knife ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7