User

Default Blade Materail: AUS8A stainless-steel (58-59 HRC)

Good morning all.

Id like to know from the people in the know about this Blade Materail: AUS8A stainless-steel (58-59 HRC)

As in , is it a strong lasting steel?

the reason is im really liking this blade but dont want to fork out so much if its iffy steel.

Default AUS 8

Hi Bliksim

The Kershaw Trooper, eh? I had one many years ago and gave to an uncle of mine as a gift (he had made a gift of a very collectable knife to me, and I felt I needed to repay him in some way). It is a super knife. But I would make two observations, if you don't mind? The first is that it comes across as a bit of a collectable - what with its presentation case and all that. I found that that prevented me from carrying it. The second is that the handle is very smooth. I struggled to grip it nicely, and I figured that if it ever got wet or had blood on it, it would slip out of my hand. Of course, these are just personal observations and may not bother you at all.

I am no metallurgist, but I remember the days when 440B, 440C and AUS8 were pretty premium steels (AUS 8 is in the same ballpark as 440B). Most of Cold Steel's mid- and upper-range folders are still made of AUS 8, and Sypderco used AUS 8 quite a lot too in the 1990s. AUS 8 has served many many people very well for a long time now. I'd have no hesitation picking up another folder in AUS 8 at the right price point.

Something else to remember - the Trooper is a dagger. It is meant for thrusting, not for everyday utility work. If you use it as an SD knife, you are unlikely ever to test the AUS 8 steel to its maximum anyway. At worst, it will have to cut a bad-guy. Something the AUS 8 will do very well.

Please let us know if you go ahead and buy the knife, and give us some feedback on how you like it.

User

Hi gents!

Quick question related to Aus8... I see that Cold Steel are now forging their famous recon tanto from something called "San Mai III", which to me, sounds like a cute Asian girl with pigtails because I'm just a collector.

What can you clued-up dudes tell me about the difference between the cute Asian girl and Aus8, which is what they used to use for this knife?

Ha ha.....

San Mai III is a laminated steel which means there are two layers of steel. The steel along the edge is tempered harder so that it will take and hold an edge better.

The rest of the steel is softer and more flexible to allow the blade to sustain more shocks when you use it hard.

This process was used with great success in japanese sword making, hence its association traditionally with Japanese made steels.

The two companies who use it most commonly today are Fallkniven and Cold Steel. Kershaw has also issued a few blades with laminated steel.

Custom makers who forge knives can also achieve this with a differentially tempered blade. This means the hardness (Rockwell is the measurement most often used) is different along the spine and flats of the blade than it is along the edge.

It is a real skill and the reason why many (myself among them) believe that hand-forged blades are the ultimate expression of the art of bladesmithing.

IMO there is nowt wrong with AUSA (or 8a as Cold Steel calls it). It is a perfectly decent stainless steel. There is much snobbery and one-upmanship in the knife industry where people insist that a knife is vastly superior because of the steel used. All it really means is that some knives may hold an edge better than others for a bit longer. However, the ones that hold an edge better are usually harder to sharpen, so its a double edged sword, if you'll excuse the pun.

Also, a lot has to do with the heat treatment. A less expensive steel can give excellent performance if it is heat treated properly. Edge geometry also plays an important role. If the knife has a good edge it will make a lot easier to keep it sharp in the long run. By a good edge I dont mean it is sharp (although that definitely helps) I mean that is has been ground properly, at the proper angles and not too obtuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bliksim View Post
    Good morning all.

Id like to know from the people in the know about this Blade Materail: AUS8A stainless-steel (58-59 HRC)

As in , is it a strong lasting steel?

the reason is im really liking this blade but dont want to fork out so much if its iffy steel.

User

Buffalo Hump, point taken. I would love to buy all my knives from private knife makers, but unfortunately the finances don't allow that; now if I win the lotto...

Anyway, I have decided to get the San Mai III, as I already own a Kobun, of which the blade is shaped and ground in exactly the same way (hollow, I believe you call it...) and I prefer that to the flat grind. Also, I don't generally like coated black blades all that much - I'm not a ninja, just a farm boy! I'm not going to be sneaking up on any armed personnel at night.

So if anyone would like to make a monetary contribution toward my next acquisition, please do not hesitate to contact me IMMEDIATELY!!!!