Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Correct bullet for .44 hand gun hunting.

With the 357 I was taught that you load either for penetration or expansion, you can not have both in the .357.The general consensus it seems is to load for penetration with caliber size hole through and through.
    As is likely known, I have started the process of licencing a .44 for hunting. The bullet choice has become a lovely thing of hrs of research and discovery. It would appear to me that the 44 has enough penetration to pass through of the usual table fare game, and even on bone excepting the largest of antelope.
    The question I now wish to have answered is, do we still load non expanding type bullets for hunting on a weapon base capable of good penetration with a expanding bullet.

Banned

Default Re: Correct bullet for .44 hand gun hunting.

A 44 calibre hole is really big and should provide for enough damage to essential organs. Keep to a flat meplat bullet and I don't think you will go wrong. Lead bullets of harder construction are the answer here. Very few bullets expand at 1200-1400 fps.

User

A hand gun is ...well a hand gun and the terminal ballistics are puny compared to the average hunting rifle calibers.

That said,the single most important aspect is to make as big a hole as possible in an animals vitals,to obviously kill it as quickly and humanely as you can.

With a 44 240-300gr semi wadcutter [cast lead keith type] bullets,you are pretty much guarenteed on getting enough penetration to reach these vitals and get an exit wound on animals up to kudu size.I think,with large animals,stick to known penetration and hence this type of bullet.

On smaller animals in the impala size,you would find that expanding bullets would work.

Me,i don"t complicate things.I know the trajectory of the cast lead bullets and use them for all hunting.

User

Your mates at peregrine have made some especially for handgun hunting

Banned

Hey ! - will follow up.May be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    Your mates at peregrine have made some especially for handgun hunting

Post #3 and #4 speak true words.

Banned

there be others that lurk in the later hrs it would seem.

44 Magnum loves Keith Type bullets 245gr and good wooma to take out most anything on 4 legs and even 2.

Obvious you cannot sleep when dreaming of serious toys and a hurting wrist, minor sacrifices when great fun be had.

Banned

Impala has both 160gr and 200gr CFN if you are mono-inclined. The bullet length might be troublesome because the 200gr bullets measure 20.7mm in length.

Banned

I am concerned about wrist and hand injuries being re-woken, but its a big gun, a very big gun so perhaps I will cope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theunsb View Post
    44 Magnum loves Keith Type bullets 245gr and good wooma to take out most anything on 4 legs and even 2.

Obvious you cannot sleep when dreaming of serious toys and a hurting wrist, minor sacrifices when great fun be had.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast