Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Correct bullet for .44 hand gun hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    8 m does not beat that pig that thought you were dead and edible ?, the one that started sniffing your ear from behind you. Pre tells me he hears heavy breathing, but not at the bait, behind him. So he figures he will keep dead still as usual and the pigs will pass as usual and stop at the bait. Pig hunting = dead still - dead !. Thats what the pig thought he was, started sniffing his jacket then his ears. Though he never admits this part, I think thats where he lost his nerve and moved, he said its breath stank !!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Is he quite sure it was the pig's breath he was smelling?

User

He..he...he ...a little accident at that moment could be forgiven.

User

The thrill of close range encounters is what of handgun hunting is all about.

User

What type of loads do guys use for 300 gr bullets as I see Somchem only goes up to 270 gr and I want to get my SBH going as soon as the magic card arrives

I have an NOE mould that casts a classic Keith type SWC, looks almost identical to the RCBS bullet, but weighs 256 grains in 6% alloy = 16BHN. Lubed with White Label lube proven at 2500FPS. I'm no authority on hunting, but Lyman's cast bullet manual has a lengthy article about alloy for hunting bullets. Increased hardness = increased brittleness. Lyman says that Linotype is too hard and fragments on game causing surface wounds. They say that a fair compromise between hardness and ductility (holding together) is Lyman No 2 alloy. That's 5% antimony 5% in for about 15BHN. I cast with 6% antimony no tin = 16BHN. That is about the same hardness as Lyman No 2 and roughly the same ductility so it should be OK for hunting. I offer that bullet for R1 each excluding shipping.

I can also offer a 250 grain gas checked SWC but at a much higher price, not sure exactly but more than R2 each. It is not just the cost of gas checks; they are a good bit slower to make despite what is said about gas checks being easy to fit.

I haven't learned how to post pics but I'll be glad to send to anyone who is interested. I assure you that my bullets are top quality; I refuse to manufacture anything less.

I have never had a serious enquiry for 300 grain. And if I had I doubt that it would be a proposition because the volumes would be so small as to take years to pay for the mould.

User

Hi treeman, its been a while since I've posted something on this site.
    If you are worried about sore wrists I would suggest a revolver with a smooth, rounded backstrap. something like a Ruger SuperBlackhawk or a Freedom Arms, if you can find/afford one. And give rubber grips like Pachmayr & Hogue etc a wide berth. I had oversized rosewood grips on my SBH and I could do a lot of shooting without any adverse effects on my wrists.
    I put some Pachmays on, for one session. Had a moersa blister on the palm of my shooting and never used them again.
    With the smooth, rounded backstrap the revolver rolls in your palm when recoiling.
    Have fun!

User

Thomast I just bought a SBH and still waiting for the magic white card, dealer where it is in storage is a friend of mine. Meet him on the range when he takes people out for training and then I can play with it a bit. At first was worried about recoil but "plough handle" is a pleasure no sore wrists. Why but why Ruger decided on that square trigger guard? That only they will know that is a pain in the .....middle finger knuckle.

Banned

Hello Thomast - yes I do recall your company. Hi hope you not going to disappear again soon. Thanks for the input, I will be able to use it once weapon arrives and if there are problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST View Post
    Hi treeman, its been a while since I've posted something on this site.
    If you are worried about sore wrists I would suggest a revolver with a smooth, rounded backstrap. something like a Ruger SuperBlackhawk or a Freedom Arms, if you can find/afford one. And give rubber grips like Pachmayr & Hogue etc a wide berth. I had oversized rosewood grips on my SBH and I could do a lot of shooting without any adverse effects on my wrists.
    I put some Pachmays on, for one session. Had a moersa blister on the palm of my shooting and never used them again.
    With the smooth, rounded backstrap the revolver rolls in your palm when recoiling.
    Have fun!

I apologise for re-posting this (but it seems to be more appropriate here).

In the October 2017 issue of SA Hunter Koos Barnard tested some ammo for hunting including the Impala 160gr bullets mentioned.

To test penetration, he used a “wetpack” and below are the results.

Ammo - weight - speed - penetration
    Impala - 160gr - 1465fps - 26.3 cm
    Peregrine Hog - 240gr - 1144fps - 14.8cm
    Peregrine Hog - 180gr - 1297fps - 13.9cm
    Hornaday - 225gr - 1291fps - 18.2cm
    PMP - 240gr - 1148fps - 16.6cm
    Hornaday XTP - 200gr - 1238fps - 13.9cm
    Nosler - 200gr - 1297fps - 14.2cm

If you want more details (and there was quite a bit, including loads) I suggest you read the article, I am too lazy to type everything here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4