Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Correct bullet for .44 hand gun hunting.

PRE64 @ 8m use the 300gr XTP

Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    I see that most will go lead for hunting. Would CMJ's, (245 gr and 300 gr flat nose) be suitable for hunting?
    They don't have the sharp edges that the KT SWCs have - so, while I have some, they have not been a priority to load for hunting. My impression is that the sharp edges "cut" well. The big meplat on them is a good attribute, though.

Banned

All goes into the "know " pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    A-R...i see you like your 300gr bullets.I am interested that you get penetration and expansion with the 300gr XTP"s. I am using 245gr cast bullets with good results.

2xquestions if you dont mind.

Do you think the heavier bullet has an advantage over the 245gr bullet at 1360fps as far as terminal ballistics are concerned?

I will be using My SB on bushpig over bait in the next few weeks,shooting distance +- 8m.Would you recommend the 300gr XTP? Some of these brutes go over 100kg.

Sorry Treeman,slight hi-jack,but still on topic.

Banned

I would be keen to know how many inch's that sharp edge exists for after impact, the flat surface may survive, but I will be surprised to see sharp edges after first inch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    They don't have the sharp edges that the KT SWCs have - so, while I have some, they have not been a priority to load for hunting. My impression is that the sharp edges "cut" well. The big meplat on them is a good attribute, though.

User

A-R...i see you like your 300gr bullets.I am interested that you get penetration and expansion with the 300gr XTP"s. I am using 245gr cast bullets with good results.

2xquestions if you dont mind.

Do you think the heavier bullet has an advantage over the 245gr bullet at 1360fps as far as terminal ballistics are concerned?

I will be using My SB on bushpig over bait in the next few weeks,shooting distance +- 8m.Would you recommend the 300gr XTP? Some of these brutes go over 100kg.

Sorry Treeman,slight hi-jack,but still on topic.
    My guess, and it's just that, is that the penetration of the 300 XTP at 1250 fps will be very similar to your 245 SWC at 1360 fps. Since lead hardness etc. is a factor, you will have to test this empirically to be sure, but both should penetrate a medium-sized bushpig lenghwise. Even if they don't, a big pig should still be down for the count. The XTP, if it expands as intended, should cut a bigger hole. Shot placement and penetration are still more important than the size of the hole.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    I see that most will go lead for hunting. Would CMJ's, (245 gr and 300 gr flat nose) be suitable for hunting?
    I have used some 245gn CMJ's at 1200 fps in the field. Their performance did not impress me. I suspect their rounded edges cause less damage.

While it is true that the cast lead bullets deform on impact, this does not usually make them round. In my experience (at handgun velocities) they get little grooves that produce even more sharp edges. The noses also tend to wear away, leaving a shallow "V" nose profile, but still with a relatively sharp edge. I might still have a few recovered bullets somewhere. Unfortunately it will take some time to find and photograph them. The catch is, the recovered ones mostly encountered heavy bone, so they may not be representative of the average bullet, that tends to exit.

User

Thanks...ja,shot placement shouldn"t be a problem.

I am quite good at 8m,using a rest..

Banned

8 m does not beat that pig that thought you were dead and edible ?, the one that started sniffing your ear from behind you. Pre tells me he hears heavy breathing, but not at the bait, behind him. So he figures he will keep dead still as usual and the pigs will pass as usual and stop at the bait. Pig hunting = dead still - dead !. Thats what the pig thought he was, started sniffing his jacket then his ears. Though he never admits this part, I think thats where he lost his nerve and moved, he said its breath stank !!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Thanks...ja,shot placement shouldn"t be a problem.

I am quite good at 8m,using a rest..

Banned

This has been a very informative read, though I realize it his open to debate and actuality
    https://beartoothbullets.com/tech_no...h_notes.htm/61
    note the charts.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Am I correct in thinking the wheel, chamber ?? (dunno the correct name) length will determine what it can be fed.
    It's called a cylinder.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast