Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Ordered Nights Sights from Amazon and now have an issue

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    All of this worth the savings of not buying local?
    The difference between Amazon price and local is R1200.....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Local does take the piss on occasion, was recently quoted R1200 for a $35 torch.
    If you are willing to go through the effort of ordering on line and waiting then I don't see an issue. If a local distributor orders the same item and have it available then it's great. I too like to buy local, but if you place an order and 6 months down the line you still don't have your order for stuff you could buy online yourself then it becomes a bit irritating.

For me buying local means locally produced TO THE SAME STANDARD as items that can be brought in. I don't mind paying a premium for quality local production. Buying local does not mean ordering the same stuff through a local guy that is going to order it from the same source thus meaning you will have to wait longer (middle man) and pay more than doing it yourself.

ITAR has created a bit of a niche market for things like sights and trigger groups etc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    Don't you have any contact in the US that can receive the parcel for you? They can hold on to it for you until you can make another plan to get it over here.
    I wish I did..

Ask aramax to ship via sea freight. It'll take an ass long time but they should be able to. The hazardous materials is an airline requirement. Or ask them to get permits for you?
    I'll ask them this- thanks

User

I just spoke to Aramex- they mentioned that they can ship it to someone in the USA.
    I found someone who is there now, would it be a problem for them to put them in their suitcase (not carry on) and bring them here?
    If I could do this, I would simply, pay Amazon again.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin178 View Post
    I found someone who is there now, would it be a problem for them to put them in their suitcase (not carry on) and bring them here?
    Besides the 3 ITAR violations? And tritium will light up on x-ray like the 4th of July.

ITAR penalties are $1mn and/or 10 years PER infringement. Hope your friend is happy to potentially do 30 years so you can save a few bucks?
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

Ask aramax to ship via sea freight. It'll take an ass long time but they should be able to. The hazardous materials is an airline requirement. Or ask them to get permits for you?
    Any option to legally cross a US border will require an ITAR export certificate. The tritium aside, each sight is way over the $100 threshold. That's $250 minimum and up to 60 days for the State dept/DHS to issue.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver_WP View Post
    Besides the 3 ITAR violations? And tritium will light up on x-ray like the 4th of July.

ITAR penalties are $1mn and/or 10 years PER infringement. Hope your friend is happy to potentially do 30 years so you can save a few bucks?
    I have had night sights shipped from Brownells under $100 a few times over last few years with no issue. I am also not sure if Trjiucon HD can be exported?

User

Any option to legally cross a US border will require an ITAR export certificate. The tritium aside, each sight is way over the $100 threshold. That's $250 minimum and up to 60 days for the State dept/DHS to issue.
    Thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Dinat View Post
    I have had night sights shipped from Brownells under $100 a few times over last few years with no issue.
    Bearing in mind what Quicksilver_WP mentioned, how did you ship them to SA?

User

Quote Originally Posted by marlin178 View Post
    I just spoke to Aramex- they mentioned that they can ship it to someone in the USA.
    If I could do this, I would simply, pay Amazon again.
    Marlin, I suggest that you first find out about all the ITAR regulations etc before going ahead. You can land up in deep shit. You are breaking rules that I think you don't even know exist. Be careful dude.

User

Brownells shipped directly to me, and im sure many others on this site have as well. If it was illegal, they would have blocked the shipment. The under $100 is valid, and if the sights can be exported they would do with no issues. As HD are above $100 its a problem. Ive had VZ grips stopped through MYUS as deemed as firearm parts, go figure.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast