Default Shootin' the breeze with camouflage762: Episode 14

Camo discusses being arrested. Have you ever been wrongfully arrested? What's it like to be arrested? Listen & learn!

This text will be replaced

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Scary shid!

At the mercy of an armed gang of semi-literate thugs????
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Very interesting. Something to consider before getting yourself involved in a situation. This whole judicial process is laughable.

In the LE business, the saying is that 'You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride', and it is true, although if things work as they should, the cops are tempered by the courts and their agency internal complaints procedures, which means that there is a level of accountability. It sounds to me like they were not the first to contact the cops, even though they may have placed the first call (at least they weren't if the guy ran to the cop shop which it sounds like he did).

In addition there was obviously an element of racial discord involved with that supervisor, which may or may not have been made worse during the time that things 'got out of control'. We do not know exactly what was said or done in all that but my guess is that it probably got pretty hot and heavy. Words can have consequences.

I'm not so sure that his lawyer is correct in saying that the state has no case and that the arrest is unlawful. What the perp did is actually petit theft (theft of services), similar to shop lifting I would think, although I am not that familar with SA law. What they did in response could amount to assault and possibly even kidnapping since a merchant usually may have authority within the law to detain such persons, but use of force is a very gray area if that is done, and once the person is off the premesis, things change.

They had his information, and just as easily could have opened a charge against him for his actions...instead they decided in the heat of the moment to try and physically detain him off premesis...not smart...but they realize that now. There was, and is, however, no excuse for the behaviour of the LE members involved, and I am certainly not saying that there is, but the people at the shop did not use good judgement either IMO...particularly as this was an R250 issue.

Thanks once again for a good, thought provoking podcast, Camo!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Very interesting Cammo, thanks.

Unfortunately the cops in a bad light again (Justifiably so,by the sounds of it)
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo16 View Post
    This whole judicial process is laughable.
    Kinda worries me...

a) they make you swear to tell the truth,
    b) then they expect you to fake respect for the court...

Is contempt of court not the logical and correct position to adopt under the current circumstances?
    Last edited by Paul; 03-05-2010 at 10:31.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian