Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Whats involved with changing the frame on a Glock.

Hi Guys

Just interested in whats involved in change the frame on a Glock. I have a G22 2nd gen and was considering upgrading to a 3rd gen frame at some stage, because chicks dig it, before you ask.

What is required with regards to the serial numbers on the frames being different? Can I still own both frames? Is there anything esle that needs doing?
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Default Re: Whats involved with changing the frame on a Glock.

I see two options...

The first is buy a frame and apply for a license for it. Then you can have both frames but it will be at the cost of a additional license.

The second is give the frame to Nicky to send back to Austria and back comes a new frame with the old number.....

I don't see the grey area. The FCA requires all Frames, barrels and receivers to be licenced. End of story. If you get caught with the unlicenced frame you will be charged. That you owned it before the FCA is no excuse or reason.

I agree with Corne.

Get it to Herr Doktor and he will see you right.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Andy ito the FCA you have to have the extra frame licensed - there is no in between - if you carry your G with the new unlicensed frame and SAPS happens on to it you will be in contravention of the FCA and may encounter problems such as being charged in a criminal court with contravention of the FCA because you will be in possession of a unlicensed frame (same is if it's found in your possession - at home in the safe).

The least onerous (license wise) is as Corne said - have it swopped with another (OD ;D) with same number - work through the G distributor. Costs R? and a couple of weeks in waiting time.

User

SSP you beat by a minute there, but then it's expected from a Master IDPA shooter hpy180

Quote Originally Posted by andy_760901
    new legislation sucks, im off to see mt DFO for advise here, you guys just might be right on this one, id love for them to come to my house and try to prosicute me and make it stick though, dont think that they will have much success there. There has been no time frame allocated in which an individual must license a spare frame that was obtained legally prior to the new FCA. Think they will be hard pressed to succesfully charge and prosicute on that one, but ill look into it...

I am after all a law abiding citizen... happy0065
    They will, in my view, be successful. They only have to prove that you possess the frame without a licence. That's it. There was an amnesty, you could have handed it in. The FCA has been in effect for a couple of years. If you were really interested in licencing the frame you would have already done so- they will say. Oh, I forgot, there is also an excellent chance that you will be Section 102ed, either by the court or by your DFO.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Yip they will nail you and be successful and apply for you to be unfit to possess firearms - recall your competency certificate - the point is you WILL be illegally in possession of a licenseable firearm part!!! md217

It is DEFINATELY not worth taking a chance.

Yes, there are quite a few people around that under the old act bought spares like frames and now either has to apply for a license for them or destroy them. If you have a extra frame and you go for relicensing, you have to hand that frame in while you apply for a license (according to a local DFO after posing this specific question as I was in the same position with two frames)

On a different note that little plate on the Glock frame sometimes works its way loose and get lost and then you have to make a alternative plan to get the number on the frame.

User

Craig I would wait a bit on the frame change. Errornet rumour and another more reliable source point to a new textured frame being launched soon.

Thanks for all the info here guys. I've been contenplating this for ages as I don't like the look of the 2nd gen frame, and thought I'd go for a OD 3rd gen.

Might be worth the wait, thanks BigT, I'll keep my ears to the ground.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast