Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 300 Blackout bende

Username: MTTSS

AAC 16" and 12.5" AR's

Love them.

Default Re: 300 Blackout bende

AAC 12.5" of goodness.
    Plan a super compact 9" one as well.
    Suppressor works with super & subsonic ammo perfectly.
    Hornady VMAX 110g handload 1.1" 10 shot grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by TRG View Post
    AAC 12.5" of goodness.
    Plan a super compact 9" one as well.
    Suppressor works with super & subsonic ammo perfectly.
    Hornady VMAX 110g handload 1.1" 10 shot grouping.
    Very cool. I am with you on also looking into a 9" inch version.

I really hope someone will be able to bring in more of these AAC rifles, especially the 12.5" versions. I would also like to get one for the wife and oldest boy.

What suppressor are you using?

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

There is no significant benefit to a barrel over 9" long in either super or subsonic loadings.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    There is no significant benefit to a barrel over 9" long in either super or subsonic loadings.
    I basically agree with you, for all practical purposes of the intended application.

Interesting to think that the 300BLK was developed to work on short barrels (from say 9 inches), whereas the original M16 and the intention behind the .223 / 5.56 was the use of barrels in the region of 20 inches. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

This piece of information is still a very good summary of the theory and background of the development of 300 BLK, and makes for good reading material, for all the newcomers to the cartridge:

http://dtic.mil/ndia/2012armaments/W...590Silvers.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    I basically agree with you, for all practical purposes of the intended application.
    It's a factor of case fill. There is quite simply no space in the case to stuff in enough powder to allow it to burn for more than 9 or 10"... therefore a longer barrel is totally superfluous, and will eventually lead to the bullet slowing significantly as soon as the gas port starts drawing off pressure.

Even in the closed action of the pump-action Troys (so only uncorking the pressure chamber once the projectile exited the muzzle at 16") there was no significant increase in velocity.
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    It's a factor of case fill. There is quite simply no space in the case to stuff in enough powder to allow it to burn for more than 9 or 10"... therefore a longer barrel is totally superfluous, and will eventually lead to the bullet slowing significantly as soon as the gas port starts drawing off pressure.

Even in the closed action of the pump-action Troys (so only uncorking the pressure chamber once the projectile exited the muzzle at 16") there was no significant increase in velocity.
    Is this because of the limited types of powder available to us in this country, or it applies to imported factory ammo as well?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Is this because of the limited types of powder available to us in this country, or it applies to imported factory ammo as well?
    It is pretty much universal for 300 Blackout, partly because the powders that work best forthe caliber tend to traditionally be used in large magnum revolvers i.e. they are a slower pistol powder, so they burn more quickly when compared to rifle powders.

Hence a longer barrel is not needed as in most cases, the appropriate 300 blackout powder has completed its burn in 9 to 10 inches of barrel.

User

I have one on the way and am interested in getting a fair amount of factory 300 Blk ammo, to shoot and then reload. Don't want to do the whole trimming cases thing.

I see S&B now has three 300 Blk loads. S&B appears to be one of the best priced, good quality, factory ammo options we can get here in SA.

Anyone know if the local supplier is going to be bringing in 300 Blk?

Perhaps we could do a group buy on a couple cases of the stuff? Maybe if we can get an order for 10k rounds, we can get a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8 View Post
    Anyone know if the local supplier is going to be bringing in 300 Blk?
    The local importers weren't planning to... I have a bunch of 200Gn subsonic on order.
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast