Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 300 Blackout bende

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    Are you sure of the twist rate? The norm seems to be around 1 in 7, and their webpage has a reference to 1 in 9, although I suspect that that is a reference to the 223 model. The carbine length system will work great with subs using S265.
    I measured it using my cleaning rod, several times - I could be wrong though...
    To be honest, the twist rate was a bit of a shocker to me - I only noticed this once I got it, but it is what it is...

Need to put an item on the 2017 agenda - motivate Frontier to produce a range 110 / 120gn CMJ projectile :)

User

The carbine length system will work great with subs using S265.
    I'm only looking at running supers at this point - developed a nice, soft round using S321, factoring 185. Powder's a bit dirty, but oh so soft...

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post

...Need to put an item on the 2017 agenda - motivate Frontier to produce a range 110 / 120gn CMJ projectile :)
    I suppose CMJ bullets will be cheaper than the Range Masters they currently have?

Otherwise the 125gr Range Masters will be just about perfect for target shooting or for standardizing on for supersonic applications.

http://www.frontierbullets.co.za/pro...al-125gr-btsp/

I am not aware of any other current source for 123 - 125gr FMJ bullets at fair prices, unless the S&B importers may be persuaded to bring in such bullets with the next shipment.

If Frontier could then be motivated to also include a 125gr Spartan Hunting Bullet, that would be awesome, since then the guys with the bolt actions who are using their guns for hunting / target shooting / plinking interchangeably, should be relatively close for purposes of load development and point of impact between these bullets...

Quote Originally Posted by TRG View Post
    AAC 12.5" of goodness.
    Plan a super compact 9" one as well.
    Suppressor works with super & subsonic ammo perfectly.
    Hornady VMAX 110g handload 1.1" 10 shot grouping.
    Very cool. I am with you on also looking into a 9" inch version.

I really hope someone will be able to bring in more of these AAC rifles, especially the 12.5" versions. I would also like to get one for the wife and oldest boy.

What suppressor are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8 View Post
    I have one on the way and am interested in getting a fair amount of factory 300 Blk ammo, to shoot and then reload. Don't want to do the whole trimming cases thing.

I see S&B now has three 300 Blk loads. S&B appears to be one of the best priced, good quality, factory ammo options we can get here in SA.

Anyone know if the local supplier is going to be bringing in 300 Blk?

Perhaps we could do a group buy on a couple cases of the stuff? Maybe if we can get an order for 10k rounds, we can get a good price.
    I have reason to believe that the demand for S&B 300BLK in SA is growing, and that the importers are taking note of this...

This thread obviously helps a bit :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I've got a franken-monster;
    16" Daniel Defense barrel, DPMS heavy upper, NEA lower. Have a Leupold 1 - 4 VX R Patrol mounted. Wilson TTU trigger. Suppressed.
    Very sweet shooter.
    Converted 1000 x WW 223 cases for it. My first try with PMP cases cost me dearly in time and frustration; dumped 600 converted cases.
    I got a bunch of cases from Nobletec to start off with - they are stamped JG 5.56 at the back. They came primed so had to unprime them when preparing them. Had to open up some of the flash holes a bit, but otherwise they were 100%.

As far as I understand Nobletec is also now looking at turning out 300 BLK rounds, since there is another shop that will be bringing in some 300 BLK rifles in the new year, and the demand for ammo is obviously growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Just waiting on CFR to okay the barrel swap on my Daniel, moving down to a 10 inch barrel.

Love the caliber and its versatility.
    Thanks Hobbes, your work and postings here on Gunsite on this calibre got me into it, in fact it even got me into AR's, :)

That DD 10" will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
    I'm only looking at running supers at this point - developed a nice, soft round using S321, factoring 185. Powder's a bit dirty, but oh so soft...
    Sounds good. What bullet weight and type are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    There is no significant benefit to a barrel over 9" long in either super or subsonic loadings.
    I basically agree with you, for all practical purposes of the intended application.

Interesting to think that the 300BLK was developed to work on short barrels (from say 9 inches), whereas the original M16 and the intention behind the .223 / 5.56 was the use of barrels in the region of 20 inches. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

This piece of information is still a very good summary of the theory and background of the development of 300 BLK, and makes for good reading material, for all the newcomers to the cartridge:

http://dtic.mil/ndia/2012armaments/W...590Silvers.pdf

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

I basically agree with you, for all practical purposes of the intended application.
    It's a factor of case fill. There is quite simply no space in the case to stuff in enough powder to allow it to burn for more than 9 or 10"... therefore a longer barrel is totally superfluous, and will eventually lead to the bullet slowing significantly as soon as the gas port starts drawing off pressure.

Even in the closed action of the pump-action Troys (so only uncorking the pressure chamber once the projectile exited the muzzle at 16") there was no significant increase in velocity.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast