Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Default Re: 300 Blackout bende

I had another look at the current offerings from S&B.

It appears that the 147gr may perhaps be the better choice than the 124gr, contrary to what I would have expected at first. It appears that it has a flatter trajectory.

This may perhaps be explained by the higher BC of the 147gr bullet.

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/compare/

And the energy figures are significantly higher on the 147gr bullets at all ranges.

Which made me to think that I may have been on the right road after all by using 143gr PMP .308 bullets, depending on their actual BC.

Can anyone perhaps confirm what this is?

I see the question has been asked before:

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ic-Coefficient

User

So guys, who is keen to order some S&B from the supplier?

Paul is getting some subsonic, and I am keen for a case or two of the 147gr stuff.

I think between us all here, we should be able to get an order together for a decent quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8 View Post
    So guys, who is keen to order some S&B from the supplier?

Paul is getting some subsonic, and I am keen for a case or two of the 147gr stuff.

I think between us all here, we should be able to get an order together for a decent quantity.
    I am keen to get the ball rolling for this.

Simultaneously, I am going to muster some support from 300 BLK owners who are not on the Forum yet, and invite them here as well.

User

On the subject of the frontier Range Masters.

The 125gn is a fantastic bullet and very accurate in the 300blk, only issue is of course cost with retail being in the region of R4.60 or so per bullet.

I would be more inclined to ask frontier to produce a range master more in the 90gn weight range. Due to the reduced density of brass the length of the bullet should hopefully come in relatively close length wise to a similar copper lead 110gn bullet.

The reduced weight should hopefully then also bring the price per bullet down a bit, ideally in the R3 to R3.50 range. The flip side is that the 308 guys could push the velocities well into the 3000fps + range for a very flat shooting 308 load.

My preference would be to follow the thinking of what Barnes has done with their 300blk AR factory load in that they make use of a 90gn projectile moving at about 2550 fps from a 16" barrel. faster and flatter so less compensation in competition.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    I got a bunch of cases from Nobletec to start off with - they are stamped JG 5.56 at the back. They came primed so had to unprime them when preparing them. Had to open up some of the flash holes a bit, but otherwise they were 100%.
    Watch out for certain of the "JG" stamped brass with the larger flash-holes - the case wall is too thick, same as all the "JH". You will think you have found a lucky case with a larger flash-hole and those will be the ones that require a neck turn (probably from a different supplier). In my experience all the JA, JB, JE, JF & JN are fine, and some of the JGs. I have reformed about 2000 of these cases and learned which ones to avoid...

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    Sounds good. What bullet weight and type are you using?
    I've been running what I believe to be PMP FMJs - between 143 & 147gn. I got hold of a tub of old, pulled 308s and they run sweet!
    I'm waiting on Frontier to reopen so I can get some 150gn CMJs for development as I believe they will be most cost effective for my immediate use for competition. I'd prefer to use a lighter projectile but it would have to be cost-effective as I am not keen to use expensive hunting bullets to punch holes in cardboard at this stage of my game.

User

Frontier do a 110gr cmj. Ask BigT to order for you

User

Are those not the 30 Carbine bullets they produce?

If yes, they are a bit short for 300 blk application but can be used. You hav to seat them quite long and then apply a fairly heay crimp to prevent them working loose under recoil as there is reduced bullet surface for the case to grip.

I also found the accuracy to be lack luster. I have alo run the 143gn bullets that Insomniac (come in large olive plastic bags of 1000) and these at present seem to be the best cost and accuracy combination bullet wise for 300blk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

If yes, they are a bit short for 300 blk application but can be used. You hav to seat them quite long and then apply a fairly heay crimp to prevent them working loose under recoil as there is reduced bullet surface for the case to grip.

I also found the accuracy to be lack luster. I have alo run the 143gn bullets that Insomniac (come in large olive plastic bags of 1000) and these at present seem to be the best cost and accuracy combination bullet wise for 300blk.
    Yes those 110 gr bullets of Frontier are round nose and therefore not optimum for extended ranges. I am keen to also test some of those 90 grainers if they can become available.

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
    Watch out for certain of the "JG" stamped brass with the larger flash-holes - the case wall is too thick, same as all the "JH". You will think you have found a lucky case with a larger flash-hole and those will be the ones that require a neck turn (probably from a different supplier). In my experience all the JA, JB, JE, JF & JN are fine, and some of the JGs. I have reformed about 2000 of these cases and learned which ones to avoid...

I've been running what I believe to be PMP FMJs - between 143 & 147gn. I got hold of a tub of old, pulled 308s and they run sweet!
    I'm waiting on Frontier to reopen so I can get some 150gn CMJs for development as I believe they will be most cost effective for my immediate use for competition. I'd prefer to use a lighter projectile but it would have to be cost-effective as I am not keen to use expensive hunting bullets to punch holes in cardboard at this stage of my game.
    Thanks for the info.

Ultimately I think I need to settle on S&B ammo that will be a source of cases of consistent quality and specs, and then quality bullets from either Frontier or S&B of either 124/5gr or 147/150gr, for supersonic applications. I understand that the 143gr PMP's can fluctuate a bit in weight. The prices for the Frontier bullets seems to be not much more than the PMP's in any event. And I prefer the more accurate option. There are reports from abroad of guys getting accuracy of 0.3 MOA with this caliber in supersonic mode and I am not surprised based on my current experience with it, so I would not want to skimp on components for the sake of a relatively small cost benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Yes those .30 carbine CMJ works fine @ R1/bullet.
    Accuracy 1.75-2.25 MOA in mine
    Hornady VMAX 10 shot groups are less than 1 MOA but @ R5-6/bullet.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast