Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: 2017 hunt ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Anthony is a good oke, you'll enjoy it!

Problem is that a lot of hunts are also closed groups of sorts.. Late last year I organised a hunt for a group of us with guys that I knew (or thought I knew). At 1:30AM (yes 1:30AM!) the morning we were supposed to leave the guy we were supposed to drive with WhatsApp's me he can't make it anymore. He cost me enough money with the kak move that I could have shot two more Blesbuck for what I suddenly had to spent on trailer hire etc. Needless to say he won't ever get an invite from me again.. And this was someone I knew and worked with before..
    One @hole always seems to mess things up for other people with good intentions. A way round this is possibly a non- refundable deposit on making a commitment.

Years ago we had a very good relationship with the owner of a well known game lodge in KZN that catered mainly for hunters from Europe. The deal included 7 days accommodation, days fees, guides and 2 buck all for R2000 per week.
    Allowed game included, any bushbuck ram, penkop impala, and blesbok that needed culling.

The idea was to cull "unwanted game" and provide staff with an income during quieter periods. 1 bushbuck per hunter was a concession made because we were "friends"

One of our hunting group arranged a trip with his buddies. He booked for a large group. The trip fell through at short notice and he did not even bother to inform the lodge.

Needles to say we were never invited back.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    Game heart and liver stew
    Tell me more please?!?! Sounds awesome!

I've been fortunate to have been included with a great group, one of who is my best mate and he has introduced me to hunting! Now to get him to try other parts of the country and venues besides the Umkomaas valley!

User

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGregory View Post
    Tell me more please?!?! Sounds awesome!

I've been fortunate to have been included with a great group, one of who is my best mate and he has introduced me to hunting! Now to get him to try other parts of the country and venues besides the Umkomaas valley!
    5 large tomatos
    3 onions.
    Chopped finely.
    1 rooibok heart, cubed
    1 rooibok liver. Deveined and cubed.
    1 cup water.

Only salt and pepper, and 1 or 2 chillies.
    Slowly cook heart and veg like potjie, for 3 hours. Add water as needed. Add cubed liver, and raise temp slightly. Cook for 1 more hour. You start to make the pap when you add the liver. When it's done squeeze 1 lemon in there and mix.
    Serve with pap.

I prefer clean tastes. You can add rosemary, cloves, thyme for more tastes. Perhaps garlic as well, but 1st try it as is. Game liver is nothing like shop liver.

User

Default 2017 hunt ideas.

If you use bigger game, use more tomato and onion. You roughly want equal parts veg and meat.

@Crafty, And here i sat thinking i'm the only one with that delema :) If you guys do deciece to make a group let me know, i'm game.

I have just come across this thread. I have gotten my license for my rifle but now need to do my first hunt. Any advise for a novice as where and when to go? I am in Cape Town, so preferably, somewhere close?

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    5 large tomatos
    3 onions.
    Chopped finely.
    1 rooibok heart, cubed
    1 rooibok liver. Deveined and cubed.
    1 cup water.

Only salt and pepper, and 1 or 2 chillies.
    Slowly cook heart and veg like potjie, for 3 hours. Add water as needed. Add cubed liver, and raise temp slightly. Cook for 1 more hour. You start to make the pap when you add the liver. When it's done squeeze 1 lemon in there and mix.
    Serve with pap.

I prefer clean tastes. You can add rosemary, cloves, thyme for more tastes. Perhaps garlic as well, but 1st try it as is. Game liver is nothing like shop liver.
    Awesome thank you!!! Definitely going to give that a bash!!!

User

To make a group hunt more probable it may enhance the chances of more hunters to actually join and not to drop other participants by giving your hunt a theme/ dedicated type of hunt like the 1882 Era black powder hunt we do every year with a set group of members..like only walk and stalk hunt, no one shoots from a vehicle... camping and not staying in a lodge..camping will get you to experience a lot more than hunting alone... Non-refundable deposit a month before the hunt is another good idea, dividing different tasks for every one will ensure more dedication as well...

I'm up for a Kudu end July early August in the Eastern Cape. I'm prepared to join up with a group. Yes I'm not expecting guys to fall over to take me in cos I've been there. Our Northern Cape group took in a guy two years ago and had a nightmare experience so I understand the reluctance however I'm going to go try for that Kudu with or without a group. A group join would just be much more fun and an experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2