Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Black mamba bite

Mamba bite lephalale area:
    Was phoned at 08h30 with news of mamba bite victim on his way to hospital. Would be transported with four seater helicopter (game catcher's) and ETA 09h05. Bitten at 08h00.

Eventually arrived 09h25, patient had difficulty to breathe, but conscious.

Was riding motorbike on game farm and watching blue wildebeest, when he felt something strike his right leg. Looked back, and saw a 2 m mamba in the road.

Two fang marks in middle of lower leg lateral side. Fang marks 15 mm apart, had been "dragged" over skin, due to speed of bike.

Patient given oxygen mask, breathing spontaneous and kept oxygen sats at 97%.
    Cortisone and promethazine given intravenously. One amp of polivalent antivenom given IV. Patient observed for ten minutes for possible allergic reaction. No allergy. 5 Amps prepared in side-drip and started IV.

After 10 minutes itching and red skin rash. Adrenalin (diluted) given and antivenom stopped. Rash went away. Antivenom started again - rash came back. Antivenom stopped - adrenalin given again. Rash went away but more slowly than first time. Antivenom not restarted.

Patient admitted to high-care ward. Stable for now.

Lessons learned:
    - observe patient for at least 30 minutes after first dose of antivenom, for allergic reactions.
    -This patient, if again bitten by a snake, should probably not get antivenom again.
    Consider Neostigmin (Anaesthetic muscle relaxant reversal) in case of neurotoxic bites.

Sorry no pics, I have forgotten how to upload them!

User

Default Re: Black mamba bite

Holy f*ckballs...

User

Am I understanding correctly, he was bitten while in motion on the bike or was he stationary?

User

Nicely done Doc.

Stay Bladed.

Was riding his bike with his attention on a herd of Blue wildebeest. Was bitten in motion, and only saw the snake afterwards.

Probably only a small amount of venom injected because of the bike "ripping him away".
    Enough though to cause some neurologic symptoms.

User

Thank you Doc, well done :)

User

Yip Black Mamba is not a nice bite. Friend of mine in KZN got bitten by a Moz Spitting Cobra and only just recovered when she was bitten by a Black Mamba. She nearly did not make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Hi Willie would you please share this with The Snakes of Southern Africa Facebook page. I know there are a lot of people there that follow bite stats very closely

User

Interesting story. Living in black mamba territory I have also had a few close encounters. I also had one strike at me while riding a dirtbike. Fortunately it missed me and got the bike's side cover just behind my calf. That was close...

Strongs to the victim. The black mamba bite survivors club is small and very exclusive.

User

Out of curiosity, would a mamba's fangs penetrate a jean?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast