Default Acquiring a firearm - the complete process

Hi Guys

Please lay down the steps for getting a firearm license. I've never owned a firearm before. Reason: rifle for hunting and sport shooting

E.g.

1. Competence Certificate (how, what and where)
    2. Licensing process
    3. Purchasing the rifle
    4. Renewal of license
    5. etc.

Can I follow the steps here: http://www.capegateway.gov.za/eng/di...ces/11462/9640

Any help will do!

Thanks
    Andrew

User

Default Re: Acquiring a firearm - the complete process

Well the link you gave is pretty complete except for:

"You can only buy a firearm from a registered dealer." - You can buy from anyone that has a licence for the gun.

"You may only own 200 rounds of ammunition for each gun you own and can only have ammunition that is suitable for that particular gun. (This does not apply to dedicated hunters or sports people.)" - The first part is correct. I don't think you may own ammo for a caliber you don't have, even if you are dedicated. I think dedicated people can have more than 200 rounds.

"The entire process usually takes about two months, if there are no problems with the application. Should a licence be refused, you may file an appeal." - ??? maybe it takes two months in lala land. Expect a year of waiting.

You should join a club for your hunting and sportshooting so that they can give you support documents when you apply for your licences: "This rifle is suitable for shooting this event and hunting these animals, etc"

One must have a licence for a firearm capable of discharging a particular cartridge in order to possess that cartridge. Thus if you own a .357 you can possess .38 special.

Persons holding dedicated status may indeed possess more than 200 rounds. Remember that primers count as rounds for the purposes of the act.

The competency certificate process is the most time consuming. Probably about a year for that. Once you have it the licence is pretty quick. I waited 4 months for my LM.

The more motivation the better. My LM app was about 50 pages or so. There are some who say thats unnecessary. Remember that if you don't put something in your initial application you can't use it in your appeal.

Start the process now.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    One must have a licence for a firearm capable of discharging a particular cartridge in order to possess that cartridge. Thus if you own a .357 you can possess .38 special.

Persons holding dedicated status may indeed possess more than 200 rounds. Remember that primers count as rounds for the purposes of the act.

The competency certificate process is the most time consuming. Probably about a year for that. Once you have it the licence is pretty quick. I waited 4 months for my LM.

The more motivation the better. My LM app was about 50 pages or so. There are some who say thats unnecessary. Remember that if you don't put something in your initial application you can't use it in your appeal.

Start the process now.
    SSP, I don't want to hijack the thread but could you answer me these two questions:

1. So if you own a .357 Magnum revolver can a gunshop legally sell you .38 Special? I know you can legally own, like you said, but can you buy?
    2. You say you can't use something in the appeal you didn't put in in the initial application. Are you referring to facts or physical documents?

Quote Originally Posted by shooter

SSP, I don't want to hijack the thread but could you answer me these two questions:

1. So if you own a .357 Magnum revolver can a gunshop legally sell you .38 Special? I know you can legally own, like you said, but can you buy?
    2. You say you can't use something in the appeal you didn't put in in the initial application. Are you referring to facts or physical documents?
    1. Yes, having said that you can't force a shop to sell you anything.
    2. Both.
    Havamal

Hey SSP

50 pages for an LM license? and I thought I had long motivations. What sections / motivations did you have if you don't mind sharing?
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Hey SSP

50 pages for an LM license? and I thought I had long motivations. What sections / motivations did you have if you don't mind sharing?
    The act provides a guide. You essentially need 3 sections: 1.What you need it for in the case of self defence you need to be more specific here, 2. Why it's suitable and lastly 3. Why something else in your arsenal is not suitable.

Motivated for dedicated sport: IDPA 3 Gun.
    The motivation itself wasn't that long, about 8 pages. The rest was supporting docs, scores and the like.
    Havamal

User

Hi Andrew,

I've mailed you a doc offline concerning the process... Let me know whether it makes sense/not.

I've anyone else need to have a look - mail me. (It's less than 200kB, but the site only allow for 126kB)

Regards,

Du Toit.

Thanks! :)

Quote Originally Posted by DuToitL
    Hi Andrew,

I've mailed you a doc offline concerning the process... Let me know whether it makes sense/not.

I've anyone else need to have a look - mail me. (It's less than 200kB, but the site only allow for 126kB)

Regards,

Du Toit.
    The document has been attached, thanks to Du Toit for this info!

Craig

Attached Files Attached Files
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter