Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by TRG42 View Post
    A-R,please READ the first post again.It is about 50 cal Barrett,Truvelo etc. WHY are you bringing up 303's,K 98's,Remington 700's and Howas ???? I see there is a lot of armchair hunters on the site. Been in the hunting industry for 23 years,now I can assure you a shooter with a 50 Barrett is going to try to take animals at ridiculous ranges. Even experienced marksman will get caught out by the wind etc,there are so many factors coming into play at that distances. The chance of badly shot (gut, etc) game increases.But Captain Hook,I suppose you like that. Nowadays every one is a long distance shooter,heck for most 300 m is to far,400 m is difficult but hey I am going to take a chance with my hot caliber and my Nightforce at 950 m because I have practised a lot (forget about the bokkoors and wind blowing). Rather shoot gongs and paper targets at 1 km and beyond with your .50,or better still get an ARMSCOR 20mm Anti Material rifle.
    Who on earth was talking about shooting an animal at 1km? Are you saying it's not possible to shoot a 50 at 100m? The OP was a very simple question. No a single hint of long range. Yet you look at the calibre and assume it MUST be long range. Like I said before,calibre choice has absolutely nothing to do with what you're going on about. Assumptions.......

User

Default Re: Hunting with 50 cal

Wow. Lovely/lively debate here. I am neither advocating nor otherwise using a 12.7x99 (to be specific) for hunting. I sold mine years ago but that was a M2 tripod mounted job ;-)
    The subject came up and I got different, but strong, views from different people. I Googled '50 cal hunting' and was amazed at the prevalence of the practice - everything from camels (Aus), hogs (USA), etc. I personally can't see why it should be arbitrarily labelled as unethical. Without knowing how, when, where, by whom etc. one can't (or shouldn't) judge.
    Thanks for caring.

User

The 2 best posts so far ...

Messor..."relax gents"

WZ..."assumptions"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Just out of interest - how many guys are hunting with 50 cal Barrett, Truvelo etc.
    I acquired a Truvelo CMS 12.7 x 99 to shoot and to hunt with. Been hunting for in excess of 30 years and calibre does not define whether it is ethical or not. True, there are minimum calibres defined for certain applications but the use of a 50BMG when harvesting an animal does not make it unethical or label it 'shooting'.

User

Aaah, the good old "ethics in hunting, my way is the only correct way" debate...

I did find it slightly ironic/amusing that the beat down about using a "sniper" rifle came from someone with the handle TRG42 and who hunts exclusively using his/her long range sniper rifle....well I cant be for sure he hunts long range with his TRG, or if he even owns one....but I have to assume so don't I?

User

I have no problem with someone hunting an animal with a large caliber, as long as it is done within a reasonable distance within the hunters skill level.

I have a problem with hunting with a too small caliber.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bronxlive View Post
    I have no problem with someone hunting an animal with a large caliber, as long as it is done within a reasonable distance within the hunters skill level.

I have a problem with hunting with a too small caliber.

User

A-Max is designed for hunting.
    Just run that 750gr puppy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    OK I see Hornady has a DGX in 50 cal. Will that work in Truvelo 50 cal?

User

Quote Originally Posted by TRG42 View Post
    A-R,please READ the first post again.It is about 50 cal Barrett,Truvelo etc.
    WHY are you bringing up 303's,K 98's,Remington 700's and Howas ????

I see there is a lot of armchair hunters on the site.
    Been in the hunting industry for 23 years,now I can assure you a shooter with a 50 Barrett is going to try to take animals at ridiculous ranges.
    Even experienced marksman will get caught out by the wind etc,there are so many factors coming into play at that distances.
    The chance of badly shot (gut, etc) game increases.But Captain Hook,I suppose you like that.
    Nowadays every one is a long distance shooter,heck for most 300 m is to far,400 m is difficult but hey I am going to take a chance with my hot caliber and my Nightforce at 950 m because I have practised a lot (forget about the bokkoors and wind blowing).
    Rather shoot gongs and paper targets at 1 km and beyond with your .50,or better still get an ARMSCOR 20mm Anti Material rifle.
    TRG42. I actually did read Peter's first post again, and your's too.

If I read them correctly, it was YOU who brought up the issue of "sniper rifles". You have still not defined what you see as a "sniper rifle". Hence my explanation of what can be seen as such, based on actual employment in the role.

Yesterday's "sniper rifle" is today's "hunting rifle". Only the employment differs. I am sick and tired of every third "experienced" hunter labelling a modern hunting rifle as a "sniper rifle" and calling it's use "unethical", with zero knowledge of the user, his skill level or his actual intentions. That's just pure arrogant ignorance.

Your assumptions of what hunters will or will not do, surely come from your personal experience. Right? Well, please try hard not to project your personal experience on the rest of humanity. Others might just think, do and see thing differently, as we have the right to .

For the record, I have taken some game animals with my own TRG. All were shot within 350 m. I have also shot some crop-raiding baboons at much longer ranges with a mere 308 Win "hunting" rifle. My only regrets are about the few animals that I shot poorly and/or with a too small calibre rifle.

User

PM sent WZ

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast