Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: importing magazines from USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Isnt the "$100 limit" a Brownells thing?
    Not sure Lian. I think they may be applying an ITAR rule.

I know it's $100 of parts that make a firearm work (paraphrasing)

I ordered 2 x $99 for 10 Pmags specials on the Brownells Black Friday sale.
    Had both shipped separately no issues. One had extra goodies in, but not things that help make an FA go bang.

Up to $100 is cool, the minute you add BUIS or something else that fits on a blaster, then the system kicks your shipping options out.
    But you can add things like merchandise / snap caps / tools etc and then you can go over $100.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

dont know if he got lucky (which is unlikely flying out of the states)

he brought back 2x ak47 mags, and 2 x ar mags with some other goodies in his luggage?

User

Overly simplified, but to export firearm stuff from the US, you must:
    1) Be a registered exporter with the US Department of State (Starting at $2,000/year, last I checked; Brownells is registered)
    2) Obtain an export permit ($250 application fee) from the US Department of State for the items covered by ITAR, unless the wholesale value of those items is $100 or less (Brownells will assist you with the application if you want to go that route. Not all firearm-related items are covered by ITAR. Handgun sights, for example, are not)

To import firearm stuff into South Africa, you must:
    1) Have the appropriate ITAC permit (free)
    2) (If SAPO/CapeMail feels like yanking your chain) Obtain clearance agent services for the parcel (Has never happened to me, thankfully)

If someone you know managed to get this stuff out of the US without following all of the above, maybe they got "lucky", but maybe they also got added to various secret US screening lists, so their next trip may be "interesting".

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Isnt the "$100 limit" a Brownells thing?
    ITAR exemption for certain small firearms parts allowing a REGISTERED AND APPROVED exporters (of which Brownells is one) to get an export exemption of up to $500 to Canada and $100 to other countries.

Nice summation and FAQ on the subject
    http://www.borderview.com/services/f...ption-service/

User

thanx for the responses so Far!

User

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    Look up the ITAR restrictions. You should be good to go if under 100USD for the package
    Provided that the manufacturer is registered for export ito ITAR regulations.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    1) Be a registered exporter with the US Department of State (Starting at $2,000/year, last I checked; Brownells is registered)
    2) Obtain an export permit ($250 application fee) from the US Department of State for the items covered by ITAR, unless the wholesale value of those items is $100 or less (Brownells will assist you with the application if you want to go that route. Not all firearm-related items are covered by ITAR. Handgun sights, for example, are not)

2) (If SAPO/CapeMail feels like yanking your chain) Obtain clearance agent services for the parcel (Has never happened to me, thankfully)

If someone you know managed to get this stuff out of the US without following all of the above, maybe they got "lucky", but maybe they also got added to various secret US screening lists, so their next trip may be "interesting".
    This post

User

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post

haha i will be sure to tell him! or not as he chose to put them in his bag....silly kid if you ask me

Hi fkritzinger.
    I needed some magazines for my .22LR CZ Bruno rifle and at the time there were none available in SA.
    I had to order them direct from CZ and had to follow the entire ITAC route.
    I was advised by CZ that it was not a good idea to get a colleague to just 'bring them into SA' upon his return to the country.
    They would sell them to him but totally 'washed their hands' if anything happened to him after that.
    Good Luck and fwiw...go the ITAC route.
    Regards,
    Keith.

User

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast