Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Vermin Control On A Farm In KZN

I need a bit of guidance with vermin control on our farm in KZN. We are vegetable farmers (lettuce, cabbage, beetroot, gem squash, butternut, carrots and peppers) and have a huge problem with vervet monkeys, spur-winged geese, porcupines, small buck and bush pigs(occasionally) that are damaging our crops and sometimes wiping out whole fields, which is costing us a fortune.

I'm currently completing my DSS with NHSA. My questions are as follows, can I use a semi auto 4+1 shotgun to control these animals? Would these grounds be enough for me to motivate a semi auto shotgun under a section 16?

Thanks,
    Cheyne

User

Default Re: Vermin Control On A Farm In KZN

I did a pump action on S15 on occasional hunting for bush pig.

I think you might have better luck motivating it for dedicated hunter. And won't a rifle be better for the animal control like a 243 or 223 ??

But the shotgun will be fine as well. Especially if it is complying to the rules.

Unless you motivate it as for use in comps then just use it like you want ?

If your grounds are big enough then it will be fine no reason not to use it as you deem fit.

Not sure it you need permits.

User

Cheyne
    Remember that a shottie will cause a lot of damage to the vegetables. A single projectile may be more suitable: centrefire or 22LR.
    Where abouts are you?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Cheyne
    Remember that a shottie will cause a lot of damage to the vegetables. A single projectile may be more suitable: centrefire or 22LR.
    Where abouts are you?
    Thanks for all the replies.

My thinking was the use of slugs. I will be motivating it as hunting not as sporting. The reason I ask about the shotgun is because I can get one for next to nothing (deceased family member). I will be buying a rifle at a later stage (when funds allow).

I stay in camperdown, just off the R603.

The shot gun with slugs will definitely kill what you want it to but will do damage to crops. but if it is what you got it will work.

Will definitely also scare the stuff away as will be loud.

You might just need to check if the slugs will be able to be shot out of it though depending on chokes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mini-me View Post
    The shot gun with slugs will definitely kill what you want it to but will do damage to crops. but if it is what you got it will work.

Will definitely also scare the stuff away as will be loud.

You might just need to check if the slugs will be able to be shot out of it though depending on chokes.
    I understand it will do damage to crops but I wont just be shooting into the fields, it will be a bit more tactful and planning with every shot.

User

Good luck hitting things out to 50m with a slug if you don't have experience with it.

I would say a second hand 303 would be the way to go. Cheap and willget the job done until you can get something decent

User

Would you guys suggest saving for a rifle then? What are the Howa Varmint 243 Win like?

Banned

The most accurate choke for slugs is improved cylinder or cylinder bore. If the relative's shotgun has a full choke, it may not be as accurate as desired.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast