Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Vermin Control On A Farm In KZN

If your problems include Egyptian Geese, be careful of meat damage. I was with a friend when he shot some EG. He made biltong from the breast meat. That was some of the best tasting biltong I have eaten. No worthwhile meat on the rest of the bird.

User

Im across the valley from you in tablemountain. I use .223 howa for the smaller stuff and 308 for pigs etc.
    I used a shotgun for a while but the day time animals eventually "learn" your range.

User

You can find a decent condition 303 for around R2-R3k, save for that option and use the shottie for now. Decide on what the most destructive animal is and target them exclusively.

A couple extra shots at porcupines when the pigs are the real issue will just make the pigs wiser.

You could carry a club or something for the porcupines, Grimmirg can tell you how to get them to come real close to you without spooking them till it's too late.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    without spooking them till it's too late.
    For you or the porcupine

User

It is very possible to motivate a semi-auto rifle or shotgun for vermin control. Easier still if you're the property owner.

User

i know more than one person that will be happy to come help control some vermin! Me included.... and we not far from you :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    i know more than one person that will be happy to come help control some vermin! Me included.... and we not far from you :)
    Was going to say the same thing. Plenty kzn guys with the guns you don't have who would love an invite

User

A friend of mine has a howa 223 with the varmint barrel. They rifle is very accurate and he has shot everything from mongoose to bush pig with it.

Ammo is much cheaper than 243 and while 223 is probably a bit light for piggies, it's more than enough for the pests you mentioned.

User

Its not hard to calculate damage by vermin. Once you put a price on it and an estimate on what you can save by controlling 'x'ammount of vermin youl be able to justify the expense.

You should be able to get a complete basic setup of rifle,scope and suppressor ( Howa etc) for around 10k.

Crunch the numbers youl be supprised.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaked View Post
    I need a bit of guidance with vermin control on our farm in KZN. We are vegetable farmers (lettuce, cabbage, beetroot, gem squash, butternut, carrots and peppers) and have a huge problem with vervet monkeys, spur-winged geese, porcupines, small buck and bush pigs(occasionally) that are damaging our crops and sometimes wiping out whole fields, which is costing us a fortune.

I'm currently completing my DSS with NHSA. My questions are as follows, can I use a semi auto 4+1 shotgun to control these animals? Would these grounds be enough for me to motivate a semi auto shotgun under a section 16?

Thanks,
    Cheyne
    This is a quite complex scenario you have here, where a simple answer might not suffice. So let me try and answer each point:

You will not be able to license a semi-auto shotty on S15. The FCA limits them to Sec 14 (SD), S16 and S17. Under S16 you can motivate for either DSS or DH. Both will work.

For flying birds a shottie is obviously best. Spurwing are huge, so a heavy load and full choke will help. You might also get opportunities to shoot them on the ground, where a rifle will work best.

Vervets learn very fast, so you will only "educate" them with a shotgun. While they are still stupid, you can remove a few with a silenced .22 LR shooting subsonic ammo. The range is limited to around 75m (skill dependant) and shots need to be placed well. For longer shots, which will soon become the norm, a 223 or 204 rifle will be ideal. Their barrels also last much longer than a 243's. I'd choose a Howa, standard or varmint. Both are very accurate.

Porcupines can be shot with anything, as you normally encounter them at close range. I prefer a silenced 22 LR to keep the noise down and not alert anything else that may be in the vicinity. A shotgun will work but it's very noisy at night.

The smaller buck, I presume blue and grey duiker etc, can be shot with a 223, as you will most likely find them with a spotlight at some distance. A shotgun might work at close range, with the correct shot or slug.

Bush pigs are usually shot at close range and on the move. A shotgun with slugs will work, but I prefer a 303/308 size rifle or larger, set up for night use.

It would be very difficult to do all these diverse jobs with just 1 single tool. You need the correct tool for each job.

Now before I get a lecture on hunting ethics, please recall that this is not about sport hunting. Damage control is a different matter and the same rules do not apply.

Just make very, very sure you don't accidentaly shoot a human crop thief...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast