Post Kershaw Volt 2 vs Kershaw oso sweet edc

Does anyone own a Kershaw Volt and an Oso Sweet as I really like both but have no experience on them for edc.

The volt seems slightly larger but it is marginal and it also has the matte bead blast finish that I don't really like as it becomes shiny with the slightest scratch or nick.

It has jimping on the top of the blade that the Oso Sweet does not have.

Oso Sweet has the high polished stainless look that I like and find that the flipper actions is smoother than on the Volt2.

I am still undecided as to the handle profile comfortability and size of both knives as I have very large hands but I don't want to up size to a larger blade than any of these 2 knives.

The other real problem that I am faced with is that I find it quite frustrating remembering to take the knife and also the fact that it is just a matter of time before I lose it despite the belt clip.
    I also find it uncomfortable when driving and a hindrance at times. Am I not better off with just my Leatherman in it's pouch on my belt.

I sometimes find myself putting my knife in the centre console of my car when driving only to forget it in there at times.

To set the cat amongst the pigeons I have two other pertinent questions that I am burning to ask.

Why and for what purpose do people carry EDC knives? Is it for self defence,convenience,utility purposes or a fashion statement?No animosity intended here, just really keen to find out why because I don't EDC firearm and thought it would be handy to have some sort of protection albeit minimalistic in context.

That being said am I not at an immediate disadvantage by taking a knife to a gun fight or to another knife or sharp object fight if required to as I have not really had any formal knife training and will probably come off second best in a knife wielding fight anyway?

I guess the big question is will I not be better off by posing no threat in such a situation by not having any weapon than face an imminent face off with a knife that I probably will lose and become badly injured in the process? This obviously excludes Firearm EDC as I would stand a better chance here but I am not permitted to EDC firearm during working hours.

What advise to the people that know have for me here?

I can't wait to hear from the blade experts

Banned

Default Re: Kershaw Volt 2 vs Kershaw oso sweet edc

Carrying a blade is a way of life. You have tasted it with your multitool - can you imagine a single day that you don't use your multitool? Same basics apply for a knife.

Do a knife course or three and decide again whether it might be better not to have one around. Or read up what happens in SA when people can't or won't defend themselves. On Gunsite you are close to being banned for even mentioning surrender (not really serious!). But please read up on the positive side effects of proper defensive attitude.

You throw away knives for some reason; maybe because you don't value them? I bought myself an expensive knife (R450 was a lot of money for me to spend on a knife some years ago) but I still have it because it is expensive to replace. Buy once cry once. CRKT, Buck, Spyderco/Byrd are all good for a start.

The knife is a general diy/everyday tool. SD is just one of the side effects but if you have carried a knife for some time you can't imagine life without it.

User

I carry a cheapie knife, that has worked well for any sort of cutting purpose (and there are plenty), and takes an edge nicely when I feel like sharpening it. I also carry a baby Olight torch in my pocket - both attached with their belt clips. Reason I went for a cheapie (Enlan), was that I found that it ticked all the boxes for uses, without bothering me that much if I was to lose it. After a while, it is second nature to stick torch and knife in your pocket, along with car key, cell phone and wallet. You don't notice them either after a couple of days.

I am pretty sure I can draw my firearm (AIWB holster) faster than I can deploy my folder, so in any sort of fight that would be my goto tool.

User

Can't comment on the two Kershaws but as Ds. J mentioned knives from the major manufacturers are usually good to go.

I depending on dress code carry a (casual) fixed blade horizontal at 11h, enlan pocket knife, thumb dagger on keys and push dagger on wallet. Formal I lose the fixed blade and either carry the enlan with the daggers or daggers only depending if I am going through metal detectors.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User

Edit
    Last edited by Erebus; 24-02-2017 at 18:37. Reason: Wrong thread

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    The knife is a general diy/everyday tool. SD is just one of the side effects but if you have carried a knife for some time you can't imagine life without it.
    Spot on, Used for everything requiring cutting. packets, food, rope, cable ties, like the man says, after a year or two you can't imagine not having one with you and the family relies on the fact that you will always have it with you. I have lost one in ten years, fell out my pocket while hunting, but favour a cheaper folder which has proper tolerances and holds a good edge.

User

Default Kershaw Volt 2 vs Kershaw oso sweet edc

It is amazing that out of the few knives I do have, some more expensive than others it's always the one slightly cheaper than the others I turn to daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

I just had a look at these two knives. They are of similar blade and overall length, weight, blade shape etc. The steel and locking mechanism is also the same. It is totally up to your personal preference.

My personal preference is for a longer blade because 8cm can be just that little bit too short. As said, my personal preference.

For some reason very few of the Kershaws have a very comfortable grip, but hat is yet again personal and they might fit other hands very good. Maybe I am even biased against Kershaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I just had a look at these two knives. They are of similar blade and overall length, weight, blade shape etc. The steel and locking mechanism is also the same. It is totally up to your personal preference.

My personal preference is for a longer blade because 8cm can be just that little bit too short. As said, my personal preference.

For some reason very few of the Kershaws have a very comfortable grip, but hat is yet again personal and they might fit other hands very good. Maybe I am even biased against Kershaw.
    I like the locking mechanisms and the Flipper on both knives as it is handy and quick to be able to work with.

I really like this knife from MARRTTINI which is a knife from Finnland.

Here is their website - www.marttiini.fi

I tried it and it is super and ultra comfy and has excellent quality workmanship,only thing is it is a big pocket knife but oh so beautiful"'
    Here is a photo of the two I like.