Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DIY shooting mats ???

When taking part in local competitions hosted by my hunting association, I have to take certain shots from the prone position. Problem is the surface is not the nicest to lay down on. Little rocks, sand, dirt and even thorns makes this uncomfortable. So some of the guys have their own shooting mats. A friend of mine uses a yoga mat, while other have custom made canvas mats. There are also some folks that have these fancy rifle bags which doubles as a mat. Anyway, I had the brainwave to use an old single bed blow-up mattress as an inexpensive DIY mat. When folded and rolled, it fits in my shooter's box. It obviously won't be super comfortable deflated, but I'm assuming it would help a little. What do you guys think ? I haven't tried it yet.

User

Default Re: DIY shooting mats ???

Aren't they a bit heavy? Knee and elbow pads and the rest you can maybe wiggle till something/body settles?

Foam factory, choose height, density and size.... Cover in material you prefer, Sorted.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    elbow pads
    Winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Aren't they a bit heavy? Knee and elbow pads and the rest you can maybe wiggle till something/body settles?
    No not this one. I'll post a photo tomorrow. Like I've said, folded and rolled it fits in my shooter's box. The major thing is currently shooting uncomfortably and having dirty clothes. I would love to have a decent mat with foam etc, but mobility is the concern here. I forgot to mention that it is a +-400m walk from the car to the rifle range. It has to be compact.

User

Contact Chris at B Tact. He makes a roll up shooting mat with shoulder straps

Banned

Slight problem with your idea.
    The mat has no cushioning whatsoever, you will still feel every single stone or rock under you.
    My suggestion, go to makro or a camping store and get a roll up sleeping bag mat, i think its called that.
    Basically it's about 800-900mm wide by about 2mts long and 10mm thick.
    Usually blue in colour.
    Made of high density EVA foam.
    It rolls up small like a bedroll with a diameter of about 250mm and has 2 straps to keep it rolled tightly
    Shouldn't cost more than R150
    Last edited by da_asassin; 11-02-2016 at 23:14. Reason: Speeling

I'll have a look at my local Game store, thank you for the idea

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    Contact Chris at B Tact. He makes a roll up shooting mat with shoulder straps
    Thanks. Will Google for contact details.

User

I use the foam mats you buy per meter at Builders, cheap as dirt and you can choose the colour, thickness etc. It also rolls up pretty small and weighs nothing!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast