Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Collectors, the 50 Shades of Grey

A lot of questions have been asked in this forum section about who qualifies to be a collector and what qualifies to be collected, much of which the average person seems to disagree with and I can't blame them.

However, I've seen very little discussion about what one can or can't do with firearms licences as part of a collection.

So, what are the do's and don'ts? And, what should they be?

Is this also a grey area or is it more black and white? Can we still say black and white?!?

Default Re: Collectors, the 50 Shades of Grey

You're opening another can of worms here....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

It is my opinion that the officials over play their role.
    It is my opinion that a person with the interest and desire should be classified as a collector At their request. The quantity and the value of arms owned should not be a criteria to be considered a collector.

How to use or what a person wants to do with his collectable should not be dictated to the person by a collectors association.

There was talk about buying a piece of land to turn into a range for the collectors ass members. This is proof enough that shooting a collectible is not an issue. Why buy ones own range when other existing ranges will provide facilities to shoot and to socialize.
    If one is going to shoot your collection why can't you shoot it in a shooting discipline like SADPA or IPSC etc. How is shooting it at a collectors range different from shooting it at a IDPA stage or such?

To be a collector should incorporate steps toward easier gun ownership not complicate or mis interpret the flawed laws and regulations in place already.

The so called interveiw to test worthiness stiffles new blood and new thought.

To be recognized as a collectors association then every shooting discipline must be represented on the executive or decision making mechanisms for it to be considered a south african collectors affair credible to be engaged with government.
    Stick in BEE aspects to this and then we will get rid of the enemy from.within for the rest of us to continue the good fight.
    Last edited by KK20; 21-03-2017 at 11:48.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Sorry WZ ((
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    You're opening another can of worms here....
    Really? Surely it's fun to go roll some Martini ammo and warm up the old girl once in a while? I just don't see that many collectors out there doing it as often as I'd like to.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Really? Surely it's fun to go roll some Martini ammo and warm up the old girl once in a while? I just don't see that many collectors out there doing it as often as I'd like to.
    Long story. More will become apparent in due course. In the meantime, go shoot the MH just as much as you like.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Worms can be eaten, however they must be prepared properly!
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm -George Orwell

I have a horrible feeling I'm not going to like this long story. I'm sure this suits some, which is maybe what's really important.

User

Don't worry man the historians are too wussy to take us on. Say what you want!

Just kidding

..but not really :)
    Me myself, I am too poor to collect broken stuff.
    Us poor folk have to be utilitarian. Even the paper we shoot at has to have 2 uses. That is why I buy 2ply targets

We have a group of Collectors who do an annual re-enactment hunt - "The Weltevreden Blackpowder hunt. " Gunsiters would be familiar with this thread.
    What is strange though, is that of our group of twelve enthusiasts, only two are (Officially) collectors - belonging to collectors associations.
    They are all collectors of not only firearms, but also of other items connected to their areas of interest. They have a wealth of knowledge of firearms and history, and all of us gain a lot of knowledge about a range of topics on these hunts.

Where history sometimes seems to be only the story of wars, it has been said that wars are the exclamation marks of history. Our re-enactment is actually the unscripted re-enactment of peacetime between the wars, during a certain time-period.

Why is it that the other ten hunters in our group do not belong to collectors associations? I think the reason could be that the associations have become too elitist. They seem to discourage everybody who would not fit into the rigorous definition of what a collector should be. Somehow I do not see my ten hunting friends rushing to join a collector's association. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate what the guys in charge are doing for us under very difficult circumstances, but we don't seem to attract many members.

The opposite has happened to the hunting associations - of the groups of hunters I join annually 95 to 100% are members of hunting associations.

I'm wondering: Have we signed our own death warrant by being too elitist?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast