Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Was robbed today

Good job on getting YOUR property back. Fuck these pieces of shit who think they can just take what's not theirs. On the plus side, you are alive and learnt some valuable lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Good idea to go to the cops to report what happened but

Quote Originally Posted by Graham12 View Post
    It's 45min of your time to pop past the cops shop at 21:00 when it's quiet to make a statement.....
    ,going there at 21:00 is not a good idea just in case there is a docket open against you already and then you might find yourself in jail for some false story. Good luck getting a laywer at that time of day. If you do go, don't go alone as this person can immediately get word out that you have been arrested. Just my 2cents. Seen it happen before.

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post

What I learned:
    1. Personal boundaries
    2. Don't be affraid to offend people
    3. Get better mind set!!!!!

This to me is the key . I don't say be a jerk , but I won't hesitate to let the guy know to count the number of F***s I give about offending him.
    And if the person happens to be innocent then hopefully they realize what country we live in and that I want my personal space for a reason other than different taste in cologne.

User

There was a program on the tv a while ago where they showed how it is done with the shopping over the hand and the grabbing by the belt. It boiled down to a plastic shopping bag with their hand shoved throug the handle hole. It was on some or other actuality program on either tv 1,2,3 or etv. Never underestimate them and the do practice a lot, under their friends. Congrats, you paid 0 school fees.

If I were you. You should have already. But today google and get someone who is respected and give self defense training.
    I love Krav Maga. But anything similar will work.
    This guy should never even have been in your space. You let your guard down.
    Forget about cellphone. If this guy was able to get this close to you.
    You know how esy it would have been for him to disarm you of your firearm did he know you had it.
    You know of course. He and his buddies now know you carry concealed.
    And if they see you somewhere. They might plan to get it from you.
    You will need to be more aware. And go for training.

User

I always think back to S v Sam 1980 (4) SA 289 (T), where the cafe owner pointed his firearm at a robbery suspect to detain him until the police arrived. (You probably touched on this case during your competency assessments).

To the OP, I think you handled it ok-ish in the circumstances, and (if I were in your shoes) my story would have been similar to S v Sam, and that 'I was preparing to detain the suspect whilst somebody summoned the police'. My suggestion though would be to reach for the firearm under the shirt as opposed to flashing the gun.
    I would also go to centre management and alert them to the incident.

I have read through the replies and do not agree with some.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanG View Post
    Never mind the cellphone.

If I was the OP I would be more worried how he was distracted long enough for the guy to take his phone.
    Which means he could of been distracted enough for his FA to be lifted by the same man and/or his mate.
    SeanG; my wife said the exact same thing yesterday evening. That thinking and talking about stuff does not really prepare you when it really happens I always try to be nice with everyone. Read a quote the other day that said: "To be nice is easy, being an asshole takes practice".

I will be looking for self defense trainer that not only focuses on breaking stuff but on mind sett as well.

I am glad that I got my stuff back and would have had sleepless nights on resenting myself for not acting in the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    I.
    I would also go to centre management and alert them to the incident.
    This happened between Rhapsody's and the maal. They are appox 1.5 km from each other.

The other thing that came to mind yesterday evening that my back was facing towards the car with tow other BG. Situational awareness went totally out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Yes exactly how did the guy get in your personal space so easily. Let me teach you a colorful Cape phrase to use in such situations:
    JMSP
    He had a cape accent...he would prob have understood the phrase very clearly.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast