Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default New to knife making. First attempt

Hi All

Thought I would give this knife making thing a go - although I don't have all the tools yet etc.

I went to the hardware store to get files and got 3 for 3 euros and some change - got 2 packs - a round one, a flat one and a concave one, also got a whole bunch of clamps for next to nothing.

I already have an angle grinder, a woodworking belt sander, a bench grinder and a vice. A few weeks ago I set up my "workshop".

I still need to order the steel but a friend who works in a forge brought me a piece of around 20 cm. So I wanted to start with that but then I decided to rather start with a piece of flat iron that I had lying around so that if I do have any screwups that it is rather on that instead of the piece of steel. I know it won't hold an edge and won't even heat treat it but this is just for testing.

I started but sticking the template I printed at work on the knofe and got to work with the angle grinder. Then I noticed that when the glue gets hot the paper comes loose. Whoops. Stuck it back and traced out the template with white board marker since I couldn't find our blackboard marker. Finished cutting it out and then I took my woodworking beltsander and clamped it in the vice at an angle. I then proceeded to take off all the black scale and started smooting out the bits that the angle grinder didn't treat that well. I worked rather well and I could use the round but where the rollers are to get into the rounded bits of the handle. Was very slow work though. Took it to the bench grinder and that worked much quicker.

I then started to do the plunge line and tried with the angle grinder and the bench grinder but neither worked really well. Decided to try a file and it worked much better! I did have one whoopsy moment - when I filed to far into the one side close to the plunge line because I didn't check it often enough. Was on the point of chucking it away when I realised that was exactly where the ricasso would go. Quickly got out my drill bits and 'fixed' it.

Carried on with the files until it was time to go sleep. I will carry on tonight again. I will try and add the photos if I can during the site maintenance.

Thus far I'm rather happy with the result - It is starting to resemble a knife. Still have loads of work to do on it - the thing that worries me teh most it getting the bevel lines straight. Need to get a mask though - had black boogers the whole night ;)

Cheers

User

Default Re: New to knife making. First attempt

User

33 views and not one comment! Is it that bad?

Still have tons of work to do but hopefully on the right path.

User

Welcome to a all consuming hobby.

Did my first knives with files, it was a serious workout, do you have stops setup on your filing jig to create the plunge lines?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
    Welcome to a all consuming hobby.

Did my first knives with files, it was a serious workout, do you have stops setup on your filing jig to create the plunge lines?

Nope. No filing jigs for the moment. I'll need to make some. Saw some good things on YouTube but need to make it first. This one will be made with the hand as to better understand the problems

User

Have a look at the gough filing jig will make your life tons easier.

User

Have a look at the gough filing jig will make your life tons easier.

Thanks a lot. As I said. New to this knife making. My dad made a few many many years ago but the thing I remember most was his bevels that wasn't straight...

User

Not bad for a first go. I suggest going for good steel asap. Half-attempts are not as usefull as everything you will learn by fixing a nice one with a few mishaps. Just an opinion though

User

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Thanks a lot. As I said. New to this knife making. My dad made a few many many years ago but the thing I remember most was his bevels that wasn't straight...
    Plunge lines are a absolute nightmare when you start, I have been making knives for almost a year now and have only recently manged not to screw them up the joys of free hand grinding.

The gough jig helps a lot for the bevels as it keeps your angles consistent and it costs almost nothing to make you just need a piece of wood, a eyebolt and a piece of round bar.

User

Plunge lines are a absolute nightmare when you start, I have been making knives for almost a year now and have only recently manged not to screw them up the joys of free hand grinding.

The gough jig helps a lot for the bevels as it keeps your angles consistent and it costs almost nothing to make you just need a piece of wood, a eyebolt and a piece of round bar.

Thanks a lot! I will be building that this weekend and since I'm on holiday till Wednesday I will be attacking the real k if probably on Monday.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast