Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106
Results 1,051 to 1,055 of 1055
    User

Default Re: Meanwhile back in Finland...

The late fall has been very wet, we just survived yet another storm with high winds and lots of rainfall, and the temperatures have been every day above freezing here in the deep south of the country. Therefore I haven't been very interested in changing the winter tyres on Serenity the Bakkie, they are anyways not mandatory until the first of December, so why bother.

On the Friday morning I was 'bout to leave for a client early in the morning. Well, I didn't.

Lucky my schedule wasn't too tight... A set of brand new winter tyres, this time from Korea since South Africa don't seem to produce studded tyres which are a must on a bakkie with no three letter abbreviations, like ABS, ASL, ESP, TCS...

This Sunday I decided to do anything but important things, but I did end up tinkering with my study IT-corner. Can not escape work related stuff, but then again, computers and anything related is also a dear hobby of mine...

Here's the new look of my workbench. Used to have a desktop computer with four displays running Windows 10 for my day to day computing needs simultaneously running my home security system on the background, but I thought the time has come for a change: an all-in-one computer is taking care of pulling security and a laptop connected to a 4K TV screen is running GNU/Linux with Windows 10 running on Oracle VirtualBox takes care of my everyday work needs. I do need the Windows for being able to give support to my clients and for running Micro$soft software in native OS, but the interesting work gets done within the Linux environment.

Remember when I told about me running a Linux comms server with the old DEC VT320 Terminal on the lower left corner in the picture? Now it's also running my network time server which synchronizes itself directly with GPS satellites. Why? Well.... just because

User

Are you subcontracting with NASA?

User

I just like to tinker with interesting toys, new and vintage and make them serve a purpose Mating high tech with low tech is always an intriguing challenge, naturally from the engineering standpoint, but the real prize is to end up with something that is actually useful thus justifying its existence and the effort. Why? Again, just because.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    I just like to tinker with interesting toys, new and vintage and make them serve a purpose Mating high tech with low tech is always an intriguing challenge, naturally from the engineering standpoint, but the real prize is to end up with something that is actually useful thus justifying its existence and the effort. Why? Again, just because.
    Totally support that

User

Wow.... One hundred thousand views on a journal from a random dude from the 60°north. Thank you guys, this truly makes me humble.

My life has for many reasons been in a sort of a turmoil for the last month or so, but this weekend is dedicated for recovery with long time friends I've known for over 40 years. One should never underestimate the healing power of true friends

The snow has melted away, but this morning feels kind of chilly...

Coming up next week: how to make a shit sandwich and to feed it to the maker...

Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106