Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Frontier ammo 223

Then we back to bullets that are not up to spec and will certainly fail if shot through a tight twist. Perhaps standards have dropped in a effort to up production and it has not yet been caught onto.
    Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    In theory: yes. In practice: no...CMJ's lose jackets regularly. I recently replaced my chrono because a large piece of plated on "jacket" hit the screen. The bullet still made a perfect hole in the cardboard. But the plated jacket even though it is thin (like the side of a beer can) stayed one piece and peeled from the lead core. And that piece of jacket came from a 147 gr CMJ at about 900 fps.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Then we back to bullets that are not up to spec and will certainly fail if shot through a tight twist. Perhaps standards have dropped in a effort to up production and it has not yet been caught onto.
    This would be rather worrying. Perhaps the OP should take the matter up with Frontier...?

User

If a few bullets out of many lose a jacket or part of it during its flight towards the target but still makes a bullet hole in the cardboard I wouldn't be too concerned. If the "jacket" comes off it does so during flight. I do not see how it could affect the bore. If some of the bullets cause some leading, well the solution is to clean the barrel.

If it is for cheap plinking and making holes in cardboard at typical "Practical Shooting Sports" ranges then CMJ's are fine. In my rifle I get one inch groups at 100 meters. If the OP gets to make bullet holes at 60 meters even though a few jackets come off, I would call that "good enough"

If the goal is to shoot at extreme ranges or whatever I would just get premium bullets designed for that type of thing and live a happy life.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    If a few bullets out of many lose a jacket or part of it during its flight towards the target but still makes a bullet hole in the cardboard I wouldn't be too concerned. If the "jacket" comes off it does so during flight. I do not see how it could affect the bore. If some of the bullets cause some leading, well the solution is to clean the barrel.

If it is for cheap plinking and making holes in cardboard at typical "Practical Shooting Sports" ranges then CMJ's are fine. In my rifle I get one inch groups at 100 meters. If the OP gets to make bullet holes at 60 meters even though a few jackets come off, I would call that "good enough"

If the goal is to shoot at extreme ranges or whatever I would just get premium bullets designed for that type of thing and live a happy life.
    Good point on the "practical shooting sports" use of the bullets.

I remember earlier frontiers doing this, they then apparently increased the thickness of the copper plating. I still have some that do this from time to time!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gomsaag View Post
    As can been seen in this photo there is no excessive crimp and no scuff marks on the bullets, loading with a dillon XL650 23grain of S321 witch is a low to medium charge i am using a dillon precision case trimmer and i believe it is a 1-9 twist 14.5 inch stainless steel barrel, I do not know the speed for i do not have a chronie but i reckon its around 2800fps.Attachment 26084

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    There is a distinct circumferential dent around the bullet which I presume is from the crimp. That dent may create a stress concentration that initiates failure of the jacket at that position, under the rotational load. I do however agree with the previous poster that, if the holes in the paper are where they're supposed to be, I'd not really worry about it...

User

With a barrel length of 14.5 inches the MV is what?

2500ft/s?

User

I reckon its around 2600-2800fps

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gomsaag View Post
    I reckon its around 2600-2800fps
    Why?

Cronied around 2480fps from my 14.5" using 24 gr S321 and 55gr bullets. Not sure of batch no.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast