User

Default Best factory ammo for 243

Hi
    I am getting a 2nd hand Sako 243, a rather older model but well kept. I hunt 2-3 times a year, but go to the range a bit more. In terms of a fair grouping and fair pricing, please let me know which of the current available factory brands will work well in 100grns?

I realise that its going to be a trial & error, but where is a good place to start?

Appreciate the help.

User

Default Re: Best factory ammo for 243

Try the 90gr Sako factory load.

User

Varies according to the individual rifle. If I have an old Sako .243 and you have an old Sako .243 it does not mean our rifles will like the same load. And .243s seem to be more finicky than many other calibres. It's going to be trial and error.

If you have buddies with .243's ask for / buy 5 rounds of various makes and weights then go off to the range to try them. That way you don't have to buy boxes of 20 only to discover by the 3rd shot that your rifle does not like that ammo.

Friend also has an old 243 Sako which did not like 100gr pmp ammo. We settled on 90gr nosler reloaded ammo.

I would also suggest what dimitri said that get some fac ammo from friends. S&b ammo is not too bad and affordable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Thanks guys, will go that route then. Hopefully she groups quickly.

User

...and years later, Denel does not perform and ProAmm factory ammo is nowhere to be found. The .243 ProAmm factory ammo grouped really well for my Sako Forester.
    Can anyone recommend a good replacement ito factory ammo (the S&B's spread badly)? Appreciate the help.

(I should probably just start reloading...)

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I would first buy some S&B ammo to check if your rifle are content with a specific grain. If that is sorted you have a better idea of the weight of a proper hunting bullet in a factory box. On proper hunting bullets I can comment on the decent terminal performance of Federal Fusion range. I use Fusions in .223 and they have not let me down. They make a 95 gr .243 load that might be a good middle road for "premium" factory ammo.

Banned

A plus to Fusion. Cheap bonded ammo. I have shot Remington that did not do badly. Try in the 90 to 95gr range as 100gr gets too long if it has a boat tail.

I use federal powershok (No Fusion available when I went) and it groups well in my Musgrave .243. R450 for 20 in Durbs. I've hunted with the Powershok in my 7x57 and its very similiar to PMP ProAmm as far as I can tell.