User

Default Weaver 6.5-20 x 44 scope

Hi
    I'm aware that these scope have quite a legacy, especially the very old ones. I bought this one last year and put it on my 30-06 Musgrave (with a silencer) - it performs really well. The 20X magnification is a bit much and vision gets a little blurry, but up to 16X its fine. A arms dealer recently told me these scopes are no good. Just looking for some input on this scope, should I worry that it will let me down in the field?
    Thanks

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/4044/

User

Default Re: Weaver 6.5-20 x 44 scope

- it performs really well.
    Does this not settle it already?

User

The old steel-tubed Weaver scopes, of which the K4 model was very popular, only share the name with the current range. The new Weaver trade mark is (or was?) owned by the same group that own RCBS, CCI and Speer. The scopes are however made in China. That in itself does not mean they are bad, but it gives an indication of the market segment they are aimed at. (Pun intended. )

Their local distributor has a good reputation, so any issues should be sorted out promptly. That is worth more to me than outright quality.

A few of my friends have bought Weaver scopes and use them an a daily basis. No issues so far, so that is promising.

The haziness at or near max magnification is a common trait on cheaper scopes. This gets worse as your eyes age. Just learn not to use the higher magnification.

User

stefanvan, not really...I have had it only for a year, and just wondered whether some familiar and inevitable flaw will surprise me some time (as the dealer pressumed...). Bit it looks fine, so I'll just have to shoot enough to have it confirmed!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Hugo View Post
    stefanvan, not really...I have had it only for a year, and just wondered whether some familiar and inevitable flaw will surprise me some time (as the dealer pressumed...). Bit it looks fine, so I'll just have to shoot enough to have it confirmed!
    I hear you Jaco.
    I had a Bushnell Banner 4x32 on my 243 for many years. It is not a great scope, but darn, does it work well on that little rifle! I outshot many a man with waay better scopes on their rifles. I (for now have a Leupold VariX 3-9 in it's place, but if I am not 100% happy with it, I'm going back to the "inferior" banner.
    The Banner has always worked for me and I trust it 100% So if it has not failed you & works well, don't break a working combination.

My 2c

Rgds
    SvN

User

Cool thanks!