Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Empty chambers

User

Default Empty chambers

Why would anyone with a modern pistol carry it with an empty chamber? I ask this not to start an internet war (even though SSP beat me to the caliber one ::))but i wonder why one would one to hobble a reactive firearm. Modern pistol designs are drop safe by design so i cant see it being that. If someone disarms you the first thing even non trained people do is rack the slide so i cant see it being that. What do you plan on doing in the event of an injured arm or using a hand to get a loved one out of the way? Or even an attacker who gets the drop on you and doesnt give you time to cycle. We have all hopefully trained in one handed cycling of the slide but would you want to be forced to do that just to get your first shot off. You lose around and make a stoppage more likely so why would you do it? Thoughts?

User

Default Re: Empty chambers

1. Mexican carry?
    2. Fear of a child getting to the gun - trying to make gun as safe as possible?
    3. Not comfortable with fully loaded gun?
    4. Movie influences? :D
    5. You don't know how the gun functions?
    6. To scared to lower the hammer\decock pistol?

There are really no good reasons. When you think about it for a second it doesn't make much sense.

Think this depends largely on firearm confidence. I think the people who own a gun and only carry it when they want to feel safer, will probably carry empty. These people aren't used to carrying, and just the fact that they have the gun on them makes them feel safer, I wonder if the circumstances arise, would they even fire?

Anybody who is confident with their weapon and shoots regularly will carry loaded. They confident with their firearm and in their ability to safely use it.

Just my opinions, but I've been in both these situations myself.

BTW, I believe that a tactic used in hijacking and mugging is for the attacker to carry empty, then cycle the firearms in your face as an intimidation tactic. Don't ever presume this though, all guns are always loaded remember! Stay safe.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Think this depends largely on firearm confidence. I think the people who own a gun and only carry it when they want to feel safer, will probably carry empty. These people aren't used to carrying, and just the fact that they have the gun on them makes them feel safer, I wonder if the circumstances arise, would they even fire?

Anybody who is confident with their weapon and shoots regularly will carry loaded. They confident with their firearm and in their ability to safely use it.

Just my opinions, but I've been in both these situations myself.

BTW, I believe that a tactic using in hijacking and mugging is for the attacker to carry empty, then cycle the firearms in your face as an intimidation tactic. Don't ever presume this though, all guns are always loaded remember! Stay safe.
    I agree, I think you cut to the core of the matter. The only gun I'm not comfortable keeping loaded and moving around alot with is my target .22LR pistol. The trigger is just too fine and I don't trust safeties.

No. Guns are dangerous. Thats the point of them. Treat them accordingly. Whats the purpose of an unloaded gun? Paperweight?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

+1

Very expensive paperweight

Yip if youre not comfortable with one up, youre not comfortable with your gun.

OPTION 1:
    sell the gun, as your'e not competent

OPTION 2:

join a club and become competent by handling the gun.

Your SAPS Competency certificate is only your learners licence

Option three. Give the gun to me.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

like that one, i'm second inna Q

Hi all.

I dont agree with Para here, and this is a rare thig, im more with Craig here, in that there are guns i carry 1 up with and there are ones which i do not.

I carry a Glock 27 mexican and just do not want to loose my manlyhood if the gun should fail in any way and go off. Yea yea yea u r all going to say that it will not happen, well my friends stranger things have, this is the reason i will be changing my carry gun to a HK USPc with a round in the chamber and the weapon decocked with the safety on, that being said if i were to carry a Glock in a glock holster or similar that encloses the trigger guard in the holster ill have no quams carrying one-up.

other guns i have carried one up were my Beretta 92FS and my Smith & Wesson 6906 with slide mounted safety on, as well as my Sig-Sauer P228 with the hammer decocked and my HKP7 with its brilliant Squueze cocking mechanism. I also when feeling particularly threatned or in a bad place would carry my Para-Ordnance P12 Cocked and Locked. I am by no means a master. But believe that i can carry some guns 1-up safely and others not. Depending on carry mode as well of course. I can rack my Glock 27 fast as lightning too, but agree with some of the lads here that in some instances you may not have the spare hand to cycle your slide and that is why, as i prefer mexican, ill change my carry gun to HKUSP on safe with 1-up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast