Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Sports adventure shooting: Delvillewood Memorial Competition 2017

AAR is done, just working in the kast bits. Hopefully it will be up by tonight.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Delville Wood memorial competition 201715 July 2017

By GVC86

Planning & Set up.

After a year’s wait our annual (and only) competition has arrived. The theme for this year, “Surviving South Africa” the brain child of last year’s winner Plaashaas. Now ladies and gentlemen this seemingly desirable goal of winning DWM leaves one with the mammoth task of organising the next year’s competition, now I wonder who was so devilishly clever to come up with this punishment um I mean honour…

IMG-20170715-WA0032.jpg

All jokes aside, although a very stressful and huge task it sure is worthwhile organising and hosting such an event in memory of the soldiers that lost their lives in France 1916. I for one am very proud to have been part of this year’s staff, and that I could honour the fallen although miniscule in comparison.

This year’s build up started early as the organisers thought it good to start a whatsapp group dedicated to this year’s competition. The participants could use this group to try and alleviate any uncertainties regarding kit and such. But keeping with the theme of “Surviving SA” most questions were answered with more questions or a “read between the lines” type of answer. The most memorable of these were the answer to the following question: Q - “how will the scoring work?” A – “the same for every one!”

The participants were also notified that they will not need their Level 2 gear and only to pack Level 1 plus their EDC kit.
    Now this was not only to be a competition but also a learning experience to those of us thinking that we EDC enough.Friday 14th July 2017

Friday saw us getting up to put in a short days work, we finished our business at 10h30 and were packed and on the road by 11h30. Scorch my little brother had to work and thus I commandeered my father (who was going to sit at home doing nothing anyway) to fill his boots for the weekend. We arrived at Funky Town at about 15h30, finding Plaashaas and Shotgun busy on the range. Wow was I glad to be back on Funky Town, the memories of last year’s competition flooding back accompanied with the nostalgia of being on the other side, being staff.

We greeted and had a quick catch-up session. Plaashaas then gave me a quick overview of his plans and a walk through of the layout for the competition. We went around to test the falling plate leg of the competition.

Falling plates:This was a fun section. The original idea was that each participant after arriving at this station would be carrying a 2lt water bottle, they would then keep the water bottle in hand while shooting strong hand only at the plates. Each plate after being hit would fly of the wooden bench with a satisfying twanggg.

We all tried this after a short jog and Plaashaas thought it good to change this section as it would be very difficult, I disagreed with this but Plaashaas being the boss we respected his wishes and the stage was modified.

This turned out to be a very good call on Plaashaas’s side!!
    We moved around to the main range area where most of the shooting will be taking place, there we quickly finished setting up the targets most of which had already been done by Plaashaas and Shotgun. Plaashaas had to take the hired help home and we started testing the moving target stage for pistol and rifle.Moving target:We tested this section both with pistol and rifle and made some modifications as it turned out to be surprisingly easy. First we tested pistol at 5m and decided it should be shot from 10m, in hind sight my opinion is it should have been 15m to make it more of a challenge.

The rifle stage we tested at 50m and decided to keep it at 50m as to accommodate the participants with the least optimal setups. Camelman (DylanM) also arrived and he had a run at the stages. Here we need to acknowledge Shotgun’s effort, he made sure that each and every run was very close to the same speed as the previous one.

You see the target was mounted on a trolley designed by Plaashaas and was man powered. The operator would be down in the shooting pit and would lift the rear of the trolley and walk to the other side of the pit, getting the timing consistent run after run was very important as to give each competitor the same exposure to the target.The wind picked up and the temps dropped as the darkness crept up on us, we had some locals visiting the range to meet Plaashaas and had some time to spread the Sas gospel. We handed them an AR15 with a loaded mag, gave them a quick rundown of the stage and had them run it. Hopefully this helped that pesky little gun bugs to bite, will be nice seeing them attend a sas day to do a Level 1.

We also took this time to quickly zero Plaashaas and Shotgun’s AR15’s, by now we were using weapons mounted lights as the darkness fell quicker than we anticipated.Afterwards we called it quits for the day and retired to the club house. The fire was lit and whilst in the company of like minded good hardy friends. Supper was eaten direct from the grill, now ladies and gents this is how we men do it, straight from the braai no dishes to clean-up just rinse your knife or better yet…. Wipe it on your pants!

The rest of the evening was spent on stage layout discussions as well as duties and role dividing, and before we knew it the 15th of July 2017 had surprised us with the competition start time only 5 hours away. We hit the hay trying to get some sleep, which really only meant getting 2-2.5 hours’ worth of sleep as the alarm rang at 04h30. You see due to the harsh winds we could not put-up the flags and sponsor banners.

Also some targets were not put up for this same reason, so we quickly got up and completed the rest of the set-up for the day using headlights and vehicle lights.

Saturday 15th July 2017:Whilst on the range with the last bit of range set-up we saw the cars starting their way on the dirt road towards the club house. Everything just got real, start time was around the corner and the nerves kicked up a gear.

This is it boys, sink or swim, how we perform today would go down in history as either good or bad and it was our responsibility to ensure the latter was not part of it. (Disclaimer: this wasn’t actually said but it makes for good reading doesn’t it)

Anyhow we met the guys at the club house, greeting the participants as they came in. We started throwing some nerve maker sentences around just to build the anticipation, and hopefully induce a sense of “what have I let myself in for”. You see Sports Adventure Shooting is not just any old sport, here you get tested. (Comment from Camo: I call it an Elton John moment as in ...I am to old for this Sh*t!)

Not just by how quick, fit, strong, intelligent, resourceful, tenacious, cunning you are (this list is actually very longer but I believe you get the point of it) but it is truly a test of all these things combined, a test of one’s character! I have heard it said that the true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is looking. This truly rings true here, for most of the time spent you are actually competing against yourself. The whole system also filters the would be hopefuls resulting in an accumulation of really good folks! Anyhow getting side tracked by my philosophical nature again (almost like Grobbie logic).

So we threw around a couple of questions like “Shotgun did you remember to put out the 10km turn around checkpoint marker?” “Do you think they should swim through the dam with 1 or 2 sand bags”, the list goes on. Though I think our victims I mean participants saw right through us for the most part.

After sign in we tallied to see if all was in attendance, but the Darth Vader was nowhere to be found. Travelling from Bethlehem, turns out he had vehicular trouble and as a result missed the competition. We elected to carry on with the opening prayer, general briefing. BushBoy gave the standard safety briefing for the day.

After the briefing all participants dunked their hands into a dump pouch to pull out a brass casing with an alphabetic letter engraved on them. This letter would be your designation for the rest of the competition and was written on each participants hand with a permanent marker. The first 9 participants were deemed group 1 and the remaining 8 group 2, this would only be for the first section.
    DWM 2017 Sml(574).jpg
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Thanks GVC86 for the write up

More to follow....

(Formatting it is a real pain when you cut & paste)

User

Tap Tap Tap... Waiting Impatiently! :D

This was an awesome day!!!

Section 1: 300m shoot

The participant were briefed on this stage whilst myself, Marc Groome (head umpire) and one of the photographers set out to the 300m line. The participants would be set off to the 300m line from the club house one group at a time, arriving at the 300m line they would go prone and engage their designated target with 5 shots on their own time. After completing the 5 shots they called a RO over to verify the condition of their rifle (chamber empty, hammer dropped) and they would move back to the club house.
    DWM 2017 Sml(561).jpg

All this whilst being timed, this would be the first of the 2 stages to be timed. Hits on target were then scored by Marc with myself as witness. Centre of mass and head shots would add zero seconds to your time, the second “ring” on the IDPA target would add only 2 seconds, the third ring only 3 seconds and a miss would add 5 seconds.

DWM 2017 Sml(559).jpg

What made this stage very challenging was the 25-30mph full value wind from left to right across the range, ensuring that only 5 participants put hits on their respective targets. Honey badger put the most hits on target but due to the nature of the scoring of this event and the placement of his shots he did not get the best ranking score versus hit ratio but he did this with an iron sighted FN FAL. He put three shots on target but none in the zero zone, 1 in the +2 zone and 2 in the +3 zone with two misses (+5 for each).
    DWM 2017 Sml(518).jpg
    Thus giving him a score of +18 seconds. Betoger put 1 shot in the zero zone (+0), 1 shot in the +3 zone and 3 misses (+5 for each) giving him a score of +18 seconds with his Ruger SR762 and 10 power scope. Big J put 2 shots in the +2 zone and 3 Misses giving him a score of +19 seconds. Pesvis put 2 shots in the +3 zone and 3 misses giving him a score of +21 seconds. Box put 1 shot in the +2 zone and 4 misses giving him a score of +23 seconds. The rest of the competitors all missed the target completely and as such +25 seconds for all were added. These penalty times were then added to the overall total time for each competitor for the day.
    DWM 2017 Sml(510).jpg

After section 1 all the participant moved their vehicles to behind the 100m firing line on the range, and here they were briefed on the next stage and a draw was done to get a fair starting sequence.

Section 2:

Section 2 was the most demanding of the day. Competitors would start at the 100m mark, going prone and firing 5 shots at the target.
    DWM 2017 Sml(515).jpg

They would then get up and run to the 50m mark where they again had to engage the target with 5 shots, drop mag and show clear. They would then run to point adjacent to the backstop where they had to pick up a 2lt water bottle, from there they would run to the next range where they met Shotgun. Here they had to engage the 10 falling plates with their pistol and were only allowed to advance once all plates were down.
    DWM 2017 Sml(514).jpgDWM 2017 Sml(504).jpg

xxx

Shotgun would then direct them to the next objective behind the tree at the dam, where they would find “mug shots” of two murder suspects.
    DWM 2017 Sml(469).jpg

After committing these pictures to memory they would move around the backstop entering the pit. Upon entering they met Marc who had them drop their water bottles at a collective location, issue an instruction to stow their rifles on the rifle rack and move to the first position in the pit.
    DWM 2017 Sml(402).jpg

The first position in the pit was Dot torture.

DWM 2017 Sml(343).jpg

They had to engage 10 dots with 1 shot each, a maximum of 10 shots were allowed and on their own time. +2 seconds for each miss was awarded and -2 seconds for each hit, if there were 2 shots in one dot both would be scored as 0.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast