Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Hello world!! Here are some pictures of stuff i have built.

So i have been lurking on this forums for close to 8 years now but living in Botswana felt somewhat estranged from the SA community, after the Botswana immigration nasties gave me the boot i moved back to Port Elizabeth with my now retired parents. I have been doing contractor work since December while i figure out my next move in life and to keep sane i fool around in the garage. I have been interested in knife making for many years but have only made 9ish complete knives in the last 6 years so i definitely consider myself a complete novice. But i am fairly well kitted out when it comes to tooling thanks to various business attempts i have tried over the years (mainly metal work in one form or the other). So hello one and all! I hope to be making some interesting contribution to the forum and welcome any question/comments or criticism!

First up my newly finished grinding jig, very simple design borrowed from internet sources it was built ENTIRELY from scrap i picked up in Botswana bush thanks to illegal dumping by the local companies. :D I built the jig after turning a lot of good steel into scrap. This design works lovely for tapered blade flat grinds. Its its also ok for straight hollow grinds provided you don't try any fancy curves and keep your grinds straight. I still want to add some way of measuring the grind angle and some golf balls as handles. For the free hand practice i want to have 4mm mild steel blanks laser cut and to use the jig for the expensive steels. I ground those mostly mild steel blades over the weekend, all but the machete that is a old blade i am trying to resurrect.

Oh if anyone knows where i can buy grinding belts in Port Elizabeth please do let me know... paying courier costs are a bit of a blow on a already bootstrapped hobby budget!
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Default Re: Hello world!! Here are some pictures of stuff i have built.

Attachment 26385
    Awesome hobby you got yourself there!

User

Welcome.

try Coastland sales in PE for belts. Just google them, they're just off Kempston Road if I remember correctly. PE also has a nice community of knifemakers, many of them meet up regularly.

User

Welcome! That jig looks good.

User

Welcome!

User

Thanks guys.

Will give coastland a call today... not much in the lines of real work so i will be getting some extra time on the grinder.

User

Banned

Welcome

User

Built a small furnace to handle the heat treat on some 5160 practice knives cost about R500 to build but I got lucky on the burner.IMG_8616.jpgIMG_8617.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello..... I like your hobby of knife making. I do a bit this side and get most of my stuff from KMT, don't know anyone your side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast