Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    All the companies pretty much use the same technology of which there are 2 "flavours"; despite what the sales person will tell you.

Old "low-jack" radio frequency system that need to activated after the vehicle is stolen and only then the vehicle can be tracked; usually cheaper per month but off course less chance of a good recovery. EDIT: you also get GPS-cellular units that work on the "activate-first" model.

Newer GPS-cellular units which is in constant connection with the tracking company via the cellphone network; gives a much better recovery rate since vehicle position history is available for tracking. Also comes with extra features like alert buttons, high risk area alerts, route definitions, telematics, possible collision detection etc (extra features may cost extra per month as there is a lot higher data cost to the tracking company)

Second part is the installer, most of the installers are third party contractors (usually also guys who install car radio and alarms) and where 99% of your hardware issue will originate from. Netstar used to use the cheapest installer that also did cheap jobs.

Third part of the equation is recovery or hi-jack rescue; for this reason I will stick with the big boys AND also ask what is the reaction size and distance from your current area travelled. No use if you and your vehicle can be tracked but the reaction team is stationed 5+ hours away.
    For this reason stick with the big boys:
    Digicore/Ctrack; Tracker; MixTelematics/Matrix and Netstar

Out seeing them all in action and seeing a lot of market reports here I rate Tracker the highest since they are the only ones with a direct on the ground relationship with SAPS and they have old-SAPS members with decades of experience in senior positions in the recovery side, Matrix and Ctrack middle and NetStar third. AFAIK all the companies sport recovery rates in the high 80%

Stay away from the small fries if the tracking service is anything security related; have seen recovery teams that look like they bought everything on sale at the GICS closing down sale drive a 90's Subura with extra lights and stripes and needed a jumpstart from SAPS after arriving very late on a recovery scene.
    Sorry to revive an old thread but figured that still relevant.There are some good comments here and I was wondering if anything has changed. I have used Matrix up till now but recent interactions with them are leading to some unease.

Hence if HvR or others have any more up to date info it would be appreciated. Thank you.

User

Default Re: Vehicle tracking company

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread but figured that still relevant.There are some good comments here and I was wondering if anything has changed. I have used Matrix up till now but recent interactions with them are leading to some unease.

Hence if HvR or others have any more up to date info it would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Haven't been back in that side if the industry (except for an interview at Mix last year) since I've made the original comment so not really anything new to add or any input on some of the newcomers to the market.

IMHO if security response and recovery is your highest priority than Tracker and Ctrack is probably still your best alternatives going for their more expensive GPS-cellular options.

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    Haven't been back in that side if the industry (except for an interview at Mix last year) since I've made the original comment so not really anything new to add or any input on some of the newcomers to the market.

IMHO if security response and recovery is your highest priority than Tracker and Ctrack is probably still your best alternatives going for their more expensive GPS-cellular options.
    Really appreciated HvR. Have to do all we can to improve the odds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3