Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Range with gun rentals czP07 G19

Quote Originally Posted by FawaazJ View Post
    Hello,

I'm newly registered to this forum but have been coming here for ages for the useful info. I wanted to post this same question but found this thread posted in 2017. Not much answers though except for City Guns mentioned.

So I have my DSS status with NHSA and achieved this by using my cousin/uncle's firearms to do the practical target shoot when they went to the range (I just tagged along with my printed NHSA targets). My firearm licence application is still in process with CFR (for consideration) and I can't always tag along with my cousin/uncle to shoot targets (as an activity to submit with NHSA) because they frequently shoot in competitions on weekends (so can't leave me alone at the range unsupervised with one of their firearms).

So for someone who needs to shoot some targets (5 shots per target) to submit as an activity (3 times per year) to maintain DSS status, who doesn't own a firearm yet, where is the best place to go in Cape Town to hire a gun with 20 or 50 rounds ammo? Some costs would be helpful.

P.S. City Guns are very expensive because it's basically their tourist package (R100 for 1 hour at their indoor range, R300 for 50 rounds 9mm FMJ that must all be shot out at range, R400-R500 for pistol hire - G19 I think).
    Falsebay in Glencairn are very reasonable. I have my own firearm and pay R66 to use the range. I dont think they have a time limit, but stand to be corrected.
    You will have to call them regarding rental though, not sure about that.

User

Thanks Gareth,

I called False Bay now and there are two entities/businesses at play there:
    - The Shooting Range
    - The Firearms Training Academy

False Bay Training Academy offers the firearm rental packages for training and they use the False Bay Shooting Range. Details on their website. Speak to Micaela - 021 782 0107.

General Pistol Package (Glock or CZ):
    R500 for 50 rounds of 9mm. (can be adjusted if less rounds required)
    R66 range entry fee.
    Weekend visits must be booked by Thursday in advance.
    Week visits no booking required.

Another place I found that offer a similar service is AJ's Running Guns in Paarden Eilaand (021 510 3602) but they are closed on Sundays so will query in the week. Details on their website too.

User

Fawaaz, why not try to plan your range visits just as or after you cousin finishes his shooting competitions? Then his equipment is all ready there.

User

Hey Vaal, I don't like being the 3rd wheel damper that takes away the excitement of competition shooting. I've been with them several times as a spectator and it's exciting stuff. It's what got me interested in Sport Shooting. After they are done shooting there's usually ammo left over for me to shoot but after already being at the range for 3-4 hours, I can imagine they just want to get home. I prefer an invite on days when they just practicing at the range because I don’t like infringing on someone’s personal hobby.

User

Hey Vaal, I don't like being the 3rd wheel damper that takes away the excitement of competition shooting. I've been with them several times as a spectator and it's exciting stuff. It's what got me interested in Sport Shooting. After they are done shooting there's usually ammo left over for me to shoot but after already being at the range for 3-4 hours, I can imagine they just want to get home. I prefer an invite on days when they just practicing at the range because I don’t like infringing on someone’s personal hobby.
    I think you mentioned previously that your firearm application is in for consideration? Is that correct?
    If so, maybe it's best that you just wait for the license to be approved and card printed?

I know, easier said than done! :)

Or you can join a club and that way meet new shooters willing to help you!

User

LOL! The waiting game is strong yes.

My query about shooting ranges with gun rentals will obviously fall away and not be a concern for me once I have my own firearm in my safe. My query was specifically about maintaining my DSS status (Dedicated Sport Shooter) while not yet having my own firearm in my possession. A lot of people have their Dedicated Sport or Hunter status before submitting their licence application as the association status helps with approval. The problem comes in when the application process at CFR takes longer than what you expected. Now you need to submit 3 activities for the year to keep your status active.

User

What about having you firearm transformed to a gun store that has a range. Then you can go shoot it as often as you like and only pay the range fee

Sent from my HUAWEI CAN-L12 using Tapatalk

User

Why worry about maintaining DSS if you don’t have any firearms yet? Pick it up once you receive your firearm.

i hope your first license is S13 and not S16

Banned

3 activities are not needed for the 1st year of DSS

User

If you can plan it closer, then the 4 hrs can become less than 1 hr. But in the end its your time vs range fees. Hope your problem gets sorted soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2