User

Default .30-06 factory ammo and reloading problem

Hi All

Please can the hunters offer some advice.

I am due to hunt in 2 weeks time for 10 days up in Alldays and will be after impala, wartrhogs and kudu.

After much deliberation I decided on Rhino bullets and sat down last night to load them!

PROBLEM: when I try and crimp the bullets using my rcbs dies the bullet gets stuck in the die. I have to unscrew the whole thing and pull it out.

It seems to be because the bullet is a flat point.

I can seat the bullet no worries without crimping but as soon as I try and crimp it gets stuck.

First question: Do I need to crimp it?

Second question: as time is now short I think ill use factory ammo for this hunt and develop my load after when i have more time and solve the rhino problem.

Will PMP 180 grain suffice for bushveld hunting of those 3 species?

cheers

Luke

User

My 2c worth:

1) You do not have to crimp rhino`s when loading for 30-06.
    2) 180gr for those three = 100%

User

Do not crimp the Rhino bullets. You should only ever crimp if the bullet has a canalure groove for this purpose. If the case necks have been properly prepared and sized then they should have sufficient neck tension to hold the bullets.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Thanks guys ill try again tonight to load a batch of rhino :to:

Before reloading the Rhino bullets, weigh your bullets. I used two packets of Rhino to develop loads for my 308 and only after weighing each bullet and grouping them, did I manage to get good loads to group. As mentioned you don’t have to crimp the bullets. Also, if you have the chance when testing your groupings, try to fire a few bullets into a sand pack to make sure they expand at the velocity you shoot them at at the distance you will be shooting at. I switched bullets after my Rhino didn’t open and performed like solids after shooting them to slow (2100ft/s) according to guy at Rhino. Maybe just give the guy at Rhino a call and ask him if they have started to cut grooves in the inside of all bullets or just calibers larger then 9.3.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Lucky LukeS

NEVER EVER PUT A CRIMP ON RHINOS!!! You are going to blow up your rifle and yourself if you continue in this way. (Same goes for Barnes bullets.) I know the guys with the big calibres does crimp some of their Barnes, but for a 30-06, never do it.

If I can give you good advice, sommer chuck out the Rhinos in 180gr. If you want to go the Rhino way in 30-06 use 150gr to get enough velocity on them to mushroom reliably. 180gr Rhinos loaded under 2700fps tend to punch a calibre size hole through soft skinned ladys like impala ewes and kudu cows if you dont hit any bones. (At least according to my experience.) I've changed my mind about the craze of true premium grade and monolithic bullets. Get yourself something with lead inside and a thick copper jacket. They always expand, hold together and have good "knock-down" abilities. I'm going in the region of Hornady Interbond and the like. For the animals you are mentioning you really don't need monolithics.

My opinion about pmp. They are a bit soft for kudu bulls if bone is hit, but for hogs, imps and kuducows you will be just fine. Rather go with the pmp before going to field with something unfamiliar. If you are after kudu bulls in the bushveld why not go for 220gr bullets loaded to 2200 fps? Any normal constructed bullet of 220 gr at 2200fps is devastating on kudu, waste less meat on impala and knocks down a hog with authority, and they are not expensive as premium graders. But, horses for courses. I just think for what you are hunting the true premium graders are not needed.

Adoons.

By the way, I also shoot a 30-06. Load 180gr Hornady interbonds for everything except Eland. For them I use Barnes (180gr). All loaded with S365. 54gr for Hornady and 49gr for Barnes.

User

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to this site and have been observing some very interesting info and have learnt quite a bit.
    Well I am also new to reloading and would appreciate all the info from all that have experience with reloading.
    I own a savage model 111 30-06 synthetic rifle and up till now have used PMP proamm 180gr factory loads, and now trying my hand at reloading to achieve better performance with regard to accuracy and hunting kill performance.
    I have chosen two bullets in particular for accuracy and performance, the rhino 180gr bonded solid shank and the gs custom 150gr HV.
    Can anyone offer assistance with regard the following:

Is the bullet choices fine for hunting plains game up to eland?
    Any load info with regard to brass selection, propellant and primer use or bullets would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
    Yousuf