Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Capacity

User

Default Capacity

Another old bone of contention how much capacity is enough? I am of the school of thought that you can never have too many rounds and while you may never need them if you do need them you need them badly. People often quote the statistic that the average gunfight is over in three rounds but i wonder how old this figure is or were it is from. IIRC NYPD SOP 9 shows an average of ten rounds in their gunfights. In this country especially one is likely to face large groups of attackers and people can sometimes soak up round after round so wouldnt it make sense to have lots of goes?

Mark Gogos

Default Re: Capacity

I think you should make it a point to carry as much ammo as possible. A friend was in a shootout with hijackers and managed to shoot 2 dead. He need 8 rounds in total for the 2. He had 12 in the gun to start with, leaving 5 left. Fortunately the other 3 guys in the gang ran away. But what if they didn't? What if he needed another 8-10 rounds? And it's not because he can't shoot, he can and every shot was a hit, but what he realised was, that bad guys dont give up if they are shot in the stomach. Head or heart. Otherwise they will just keep coming.

The only time you can have too much ammo is when you're on fire, or if you're drowning! ;)

Lately we have been seeing that house robberies are done by 5 thugs at the same time. Now how much ammo do you want on you to feel comfortable in a case like this? Remember they are not paper targets that do not move and the theory of one-shot-stop is not to comfortable...... I carry 17+1 with a extra 17 as far as possible.....

People assume that because they're good shots and they're using a .45 with Super Perpertrator Perforator Grim Reaper Hollowpoints, that the badguys are going to respond to being shot in a certain format ie. "if I shoot them twice with those, they'll fall over!". That's an extremely dangerous assumption. There have been many instances of bad guys fighting back after being shot with non-survivable wounds (heart, head etc.). I truly believe in capacity in a 9x19, 40 or .45 format.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind
    they're good shots and they're using a .45 with Super Perpertrator Perforator Grim Reaper Hollowpoints,
    HA HA HA HA HA!!!! You crack me up!!! Where do I buy these?

I never leave the house without at least 25 round on me (13 in the gun, 12 in the spare mag).

As me mucker SSP always says:"There is only two times in life when you have too much ammo on you, when you're drowning or when you're on fire!".

Bla!

No body ever lost a gunfight because they had too many BBs in their gun.

At least one spare mag, whatever the capacity of your piece, is required in the event of a stoppage that can't be cured by a tap-rack or in the event of a magazine failure.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Yup, at home and about town I carry 15+1 and another 15 in spare mag.

On the road (being in the car makes it easier to carry more on my person) I have 2 extra mags. A mate does the same as I do, but also has 2x 20 round mags in the car...

Yip, times have changed.
    Were not fighting knife weilding criminals anymore.
    Weekly news footage shows criminals with semi-auto assault rifles. When they are arrested or killed they are found with several more mags.
    Carry as much as ammo as your personal situation dictates.
    You may to shoot to keep thes guys away from your position untill the authorities arrive and that in it self can chew ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by para
    Yip, times have changed.
    Were not fighting knife weilding criminals anymore.
    Weekly news footage shows criminals with semi-auto assault rifles. When they are arrested or killed they are found with several more mags.
    Carry as much as ammo as your personal situation dictates.
    You may to shoot to keep thes guys away from your position untill the authorities arrive and that in it self can chew ammo.
    Dollars to donuts that the rifles are not semi auto, but full auto SAPS/SANDF rifles booked out for that purpose. And that the criminals are the "authorities".

As a matter of interest all assault rifles are, by definition, FA.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Mark Gogos

3 mags.

1st: to supply cover fire whilst getting to a safe shooting position
    2nd: for the more controlled, aimed shots from behind cover
    3rd: for more cover fire to make your get away

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast