Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Kershaw Dune - experience/opinion?

I am still looking for an EDC knife for my Mrs. Last week at an ATM someone again tried to "help" her when she was supposed to pin the card but she cancelled the transaction instead and became really cross. There was neither reason nor a real excuse to pull a firearm and it would only break her edc cover. Thus a knife would have been a great inbetween.

I found the Kershaw Dune. They are roughly R600. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/dune

User

Default Re: Kershaw Dune - experience/opinion?

A knife is not "in between" a knife is lethal force just like a gun. If you want "in between" I suggest pepper spray.

Banned

If she pulls a knife that is where it ends. If she pulls a gun he runs to the cops. Vryburg has trouble with young homeless drug addicts. Pepper spray is not a threat to all of them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    If she pulls a knife that is where it ends. If she pulls a gun he runs to the cops.
    Wouldn't pulling a knife be escalating the confrontation?
    I always believed a weapon is a weapon and should be pulled as a last resort to stop a threat

Sent from my SM-G355H using Tapatalk

User

My gut tells me that a knife is like a gun, if you draw either, you need to be willing, able and within your rights to use them.

User

If she pulls a knife that is where it ends. If she pulls a gun he runs to the cops. Vryburg has trouble with young homeless drug addicts. Pepper spray is not a threat to all of them.
    Um no

Because shes introducing a deadly weapon into the situation. And if she does so without reasonable need shes going to be in shit.

The problem with bluffing with lethal weapons is what is she going top do when he says "so stab me'?

I think your are letting silliness get in the way of reality.

User

I disagree sadly.

Pulling a knife is just as serious as pulling a firearm.

+1 on the OC spray it also gives the advantage of being a ranged tool whereas a knife is CQC deluxe.

If you're set on a blade go fixed blade without a doubt.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Banned

What usually happens is that the youngsters operate in groups and they prefer softer targets. Following has happened: A woman's skirt gets pulled down from behind and as she grabs her skirt they go for the purse and jewellery. Or two grab a man's hands whilst the third bludgeons the man over the head.

My wife had a child along and since we know that these kind of things happen she had positioned herself in such a way that she could only be approached from one side. The youngster approached her from that side and did not threaten her but he was completely out of place. She would have been within her right to prepare for a possible attack.

If he decided to push an attack or grab our child there would not have been time to pull anything. I don't think anyone can complain if she pulled a knife and stood ready. Someone once asked on the forum when to pull a gun and the answer was "As soon as you see a gun". He was within her defensive zone and she did not hold good cards because she is vulnerable at that point and has to do with what she has.

And no, she did not go looking for trouble. She was at one of the safer spots in town.

User

What usually happens is that the youngsters operate in groups and they prefer softer targets. Following has happened: A woman's skirt gets pulled down from behind and as she grabs her skirt they go for the purse and jewellery. Or two grab a man's hands whilst the third bludgeons the man over the head.

My wife had a child along and since we know that these kind of things happen she had positioned herself in such a way that she could only be approached from one side. The youngster approached her from that side and did not threaten her but he was completely out of place. She would have been within her right to prepare for a possible attack.

If he decided to push an attack or grab our child there would not have been time to pull anything. I don't think anyone can complain if she pulled a knife and stood ready. Someone once asked on the forum when to pull a gun and the answer was "As soon as you see a gun". He was within her defensive zone and she did not hold good cards because she is vulnerable at that point and has to do with what she has.

And no, she did not go looking for trouble. She was at one of the safer spots in town.

The fact is with no threat drawing a gun or a knife amounts to the same thing.

The other question is she willing to stab and slash a man to death while holding onto your child?

Banned

Folks, I really don't get it. Where is the line between awareness and action? Or, between condition orange and red?

Here we have a vulnerable, cornered woman in a potentially bad situation. It can go in any direction and she simply cannot turn and run because she would need to turn her back to a possible threat.

Why is it wrong for her to fort up and prepare to defend herself if the other option (waiting for him to act first) puts her at a real disadvantage?

She would probably have been willing to use the knife, but she would have held it tucked close and not gesticulating or threatening directly.

What would have been an appropriate reaction given the circumstances?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast